Holidays and Observances
2018 Daily Holidays that fall on February 23, include:
- Curling is Cool Day
- Diesel Engine Day
- Digital Learning Day - February 23, 2018
- International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day
- National Banana Bread Day
- National Dog Biscuit Day
- Pinocchio Day
- Play Tennis Day
- Skip The Straw Day - February 23, 2018 (Fourth Friday in February)
2018 Weekly Holidays that include February 23, are:
- American Camp Week - February 20-23, 2018
- Bird Health Awareness Week - February 18-24, 2018
- Brotherhood / Sisterhood Week - February 18-24, 2018 (Third Week in February)
- Build a Better Trade Show Image Week - February 18-24, 2018 (Third Full Week in February)
- Girl Scout Cookie Weekend - February 23-25, 2018
- Learning Disabilities Week - February 21-24, 2018
- Lent - Begins on Ash Wednesday - February 14, 2018 - March 29, 2018
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is April 1, 2018)
- National Date Week (Fruit) - February 16-25, 2018
- National Engineer's Week - February 18-24, 2018 (Third Full Week in February)
- National Entrepreneurship Week - February 17-24, 2018
- National FFA Week - February 17-24, 2018
- National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend - February 23-25, 2018
- Orthodox Lent - February 19 - April 7, 2018
- Through with the Chew (Chewing Tobacco) - February 18-24, 2018 (Third Full Week in February)
- Whooping Crane Festival - February 22-25, 2018
- Women in Blue Jeans Days - February 23-24, 2018
2018 Monthly Holidays that include February 23, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our February Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of February.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Harbin Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival - Starts annually on January 5, and typically runs for a month or more, in Harbin, China and is the largest ice and snow festival in the world!
- Winter Olympics XXIII - February 9 - 25, 2018 (Held in PyeongChang, China)
- Chinese New Year Festival and Parade - February 10, 2018 - March 4, 2018 (San Francisco, CA)
- Hong Kong Arts Festival - February 23, 2018 - March 24, 2018 features Art, Theatre, Dance, Opera, and Music events.
The Astrological Sign for February 23 is Pisces.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for February are:
- Violet - symbolizes faithfulness, loyalty, humility, wisdom, and hope
- Primrose - Modesty, distinction, and virtue
The Birthstone for February is Amethyst.
- 1940 – Peter Fonda, American actor (Easy Rider)
- 1965 – Michael Dell, Founder and CEO of Dell, Inc.
- 1994 – Dakota Fanning, American actress
- 1848 – John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the United States from 1825-1829 dies of a stroke (b. 1767)
- 1995 – James Herriot, Veterinary Surgeon and English writer of All Creatures Great and Small (b. 1916)
Quote of the Day
Above is a James Herriot quote. He was a beloved veterinary surgeon who wrote humorous books about being a country vet.
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Recipe of the Day for February 23, is Healthy Banana Bread from Kerry, at Healthy Diet Habits, in honor of February 23 being
National Banana Bread Day.
This Day in History
- 1822 - Boston is incorporated as a city
- 1836 – The Battle of the Alamo begins in San Antonio, Texas where the entire garrison was all eventually killed
- 1870 - Mississippi is readmitted to US
- 1883 – Alabama becomes the first U.S. state to enact an antitrust law
- 1886 - The London Times publishes the world's 1st classified ad
- 1896 – The Tootsie Roll is invented by Leo Hirshfield
- 1904 - US acquired control of the Panama Canal Zone for $10 million
- 1905 - Rotary Club International formed by 4 men in Chicago
- 1915 - Nevada enforces easy divorce law
- 1940 - Walt Disney's animated movie "Pinocchio," released
- 1942 – Japanese submarines fire artillery shells at the California coastline near Santa Barbara
- 1945 - US Marines raise flag on Iwo Jima, famous photo & statue
- 1967 - 25th amendment (presidential succession) declared ratified
- 1987 – Supernova 1987a is seen in the Large Magellanic Cloud
- 1974 - Patty Hearst, daughter of publisher Randolph Hearst, kidnapped by SLA
- 1997 – In Roslin, Scotland, scientists announce that an adult sheep named Dolly has been successfully cloned.
This Day in Music
- 1970 - The Doors' Morrison Hotel is certified gold
- 1993 - Little Richard receives a Lifetime Achievement Grammy award
- 2003 - Norah Jones wins all five Grammy Awards she is nominated for, including Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year for Don't Know Why.
- 2003 - Simon & Garfunkel receive a Lifetime Achievement Grammy award, and sing together for the first time in ten years.
This Day in Sports
- 1938 - Joe Louis KOs Nathan Mann in 3 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1968 - Wilt Chamberlain becomes 1st NBAer to score 25,000 points
- 1980 - 13th Winter Olympic games close at Lake Placid, New York
- 1980 - Eric Heiden wins all 5 speed skating golds at Lake Placid Olympics
- 1992 - 16th Winter Olympic games closes in Albertville, France
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (geology) The study of the origin, composition and structure of rock
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!