We are currently working on updating all 2021 moveable Holidays and Observances
Holidays and Observances
2020 Daily Holidays that fall on May 10, include:
- Confederate Memorial Day - (States of North Carolina and South Carolina)
- Mother's At the Wall Day - May 10, 2020 (Always Mother's Day)
- Mother's Day - May 10, 2020 (Second Sunday in May)
- National Shrimp Day
- World Lupus Day
2020 Weekly Holidays that include May 10, are:
- Armed Forces Week - May 10-16, 2020 (Week prior to Armed Forces Day, the Third Sunday in May)
- Food Allergy Awareness Week - May 10-16, 2020
- International Coaching Week - May 4-10, 2020
- Invictus Games - May 9-16, 2020
- National Charter Schools Week - May 10-16, 2020
- National Children's Book Week - May 4-10, 2020 and also November 9-15, 2020
- National Hospital Week - May 10-16, 2020 (Second week in May)
- National Neuropathy Awareness Week - May 4-10, 2020
- National Nurses Week - May 6-12
- National Nursing Home Week - May 10-16, 2020 (Starts on Mother's Day to Following Saturday)
- National Police Week - May 10-16, 2020 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Prevention Week - May 10-16, 2020 (Third Week in May)
- National Public Gardens Week - May 8-17, 2020
- National Return to Work Week - May 10-16, 2020
- National Sun Safety Week - May 4-10, 2020
- National Transportation Week - May 10-16, 2020 (Always has Third Friday in May)
- National Wildflower Week - May 4-10, 2020
- National Women's Health Week - May 10-16, 2020
- Puppy Mill Action Week - May 4-10, 2020 (Begins the Monday before Mother's Day)
- Ramadan - Evening of April 23, 2020 - Evening of May 23, 2020
- Reading is Fun Week - May 10-16, 2020 (Second Full Week in May)
- Salvation Army Week - May 10-16, 2020 (Second Week in May)
- The Biggest Week in American Birding - May 8-17, 2020
- Universal Family Week - May 10-16
- World Cocktail Week - May 6-13
- World Dystonia Awareness Week - May 3-11
- World Migratory Bird Day - May 9-10, 2020 (Second Weekend in May)
2020 Monthly Holidays that include May 10, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for May 10 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1838 - John Wilkes Booth, American actor and assassin of President Abraham Lincoln (d. 1865)
- 1899 - Fred Astaire, American actor, singer, tap dancer (d. 1987)
- 1960 - Paul Hewson (Bono) - Irish singer, songwriter, actor and activist (U2)
- 1965 - Linda Evangelista, Canadian model
- 1692 - Sarah Osborne, American woman who was one of the first three women to be accused of witchcraft in the Salem witch trials of 1692.
- 1818 - Paul Revere, American soldier (b. 1735)
- 1863 - Thomas Jackson, known as Stonewall Jackson, Confederate general during the Civil War (b. 1824)
- 1977 - Joan Crawford, American actress (b. 1905)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1927 - Ernest Hemingway, American author and journalist marries his 2nd wife journalist Pauline Pfeiffer
- 1986 - Tommy Lee drummer of Motley Crue marries actress Heather Locklear
- 2003 - Director and producer Steven Soderberg marries Jules Asner
- 2008 - Jenna Bush, daughter of President George W. Bush, marries Henry Hager at the Bush family ranch in Texas
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The month of May is GIFTS FROM THE GARDEN month. Our Healthy Diet Habits Tip of the Day for May 10th, is to look at the Fruit Guidelines that are recommended by the USDA on a daily basis. Also included are lots of tips from Kerry at Healthy Diet Habits on how you can meet this daily quota of fruit. (link goes to her website)
This Day in History
- 1503 - Christopher Columbus discovers the Cayman Islands
- 1774 - Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette become King and Queen of France
- 1775 - The 2nd Continental Congress convenes in Philadelphia with representatives from the thirteen Colonies. They issue paper currency for the 1st time, and name George Washington as the supreme commander
- 1824 - The National Gallery in London opens to the public
- 1837 - During the Panic of 1837, banks fail in New York City, and unemployment reaches record levels
- 1863 - Confederate General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson dies eight days after he is accidentally shot by his own troops
- 1872 - Victoria Woodhull is the first woman ever nominated for President of the United States
- 1908 - Mother's Day is observed for the first time in the US. in Grafton, West Virginia
- 1924 - J. Edgar Hoover is appointed the Director of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation. He remains in the position until his death in 1972
- 1940 - German invades Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg
- 1940 - Winston Churchill is appointed Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1960 - US atomic submarine, USS Triton completes the 1st submerged circumnavigation of the globe
- 1962 - Marvel Comics published the first issue of The Incredible Hulk
- 1969 - US Troops begin attack on Hill 937 in Vietnam, later known as Hamburger Hill
- 2012 - Two car bombs detonated by suicide bombers in Syria, kill 55 people and injure 400 others
- 2013 - One World Trade Center becomes the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere
This Day in Music
- 1954 - Rock Around the Clock is released by Bill Haley & The comets
- 1969 - The Turtles and The Temptations perform at the White House for President Richard Nixon's daughter, Tricia.
- 1974 - Eric Clapton records I Shot The Sheriff
- 1975 - Apple Records officially dissolves
- 1985 - The Go-Go's announced their breakup
Above, is The Beat from The Go Go's debut album, Beauty and The Beat
- 1994 - Barbra Streisand starts her 1st concert tour in 30 years
- 2003 - American Life by Madonna becomes the #1 album
- 2006 - Chris Daughtry gets voted off Season Five of American Idol and finishes fourth. He was a favorite to win. He went on to form his own band names Daughtry.
I'm one of those who think that Chris Daughtry should have won!!
This Day in Sports
- 1967 - Hank Aaron hits an inside the park home run
- 1997 - The Chicago Cubs got the 68th triple play in major league baseball, in a game against the San Francisco Giants
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (anthropology) Having wavy hair.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!
Like this Page?
Like this Site?