Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on April 12, include:
- Big Wind Day
- D.E.A.R. Day (Drop Everything And Read)
- Free Cone Day (at Ben & Jerry's) - April 12, 2016 from 12pm-8pm (2017 TBA)
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
- International Day of Human Space Flight
- National Bookmobile Day - April 12, 2017 (Third Wednesday of April)
- National Licorice Day
- Walk on Your Wild Side Day
- Yuri's Night
2017 Weekly Holidays that include April 12, are:
- American Indian Awareness Week - April 10-14, 2017
- Holy Week - April 9-15, 2017
- International Dark Sky Week - April 10-14, 2017
- Jewish Heritage Week - Evening of April 10, 2017 to the Evening of April 18, 2017 Movable Week observed during Passover
- Lent - Begins on Ash Wednesday - March 1 - April 13, 2017
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is April 16, 2017)
- National Animal Control Appreciation Week - April 9-15, 2017 (Second Full Week of April)
- National Library Week - April 9-15, 2017 (Second Full Week of April)
- National Oral, Head, and Neck Cancer Awareness Week - April 9-15, 2017
- National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week - April 9-15, 2017 (Second Week of April)
- National Robotics Week - April 8-16, 2017
- National Student Employment Week - April 9-15, 2017 (Second Full Week of April)
- National Tattoo Week - April 12-19, 2017
- Pan American Week - April 9-15, 2017 (Week that includes April 14th)
- Passiontide - April 2-15, 2017 (The Last Two Weeks of Lent - Passion Week and Holy Week)
- Passover (also known as Pesach) - Evening of April 10, 2017 to the Evening of April 18, 2017 (movable date)
2017 Monthly Holidays that include April 12, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our April Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of April.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for April 12 is Aries.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for April are:
- Daisy - signifies innocence, loyal love, and purity
- Sweet Pea - signify blissful pleasure, but are also used to say good-bye.
The Birthstone(s) for April is the diamond, a symbol of enduring love.
- 1777 - Henry Clay, US Lawyer and Politician, 9th US Secretary of State (d. 1852)
- 1907 - Felix de Weldon, Austrian born sculptor who designed the Marine Corps War Memorial (d. 2003)
- 1908 - Robert Lee Scott, Jr. US Air Force pilot and General (d. 2006)
- 1932 - Tiny Tim, US singer and ukulele player (Tiptoe through the tulips) (d. 1996)
- 1940 - Herbie Hancock - American pianist, composer, and bandleader (Miles Davis Quintet)
- 1946 - Ed O'Neill, American actor (Married with Children and Modern Family) (I thought he was hilarious playing an FBI agent in the 1989 movie Disorganized Crime!)
- 1947 - David Letterman, American comedian and late night talk show host (Late Night)
- 1947 – Tom Clancy, American author (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger) (d. 2013) (Love his books!)
- 1950 - David Cassidy, American singer/songwriter, musician and actor (Partridge Family)
- 1957 - Vince Gill, American country singer/songwriter and musician
- 1971 - Shannen Doherty - American actress (Little House, Beverly Hills 90210)
- 1979 – Claire Danes, American actress (Romeo & Juliet, My So Called Life, Homeland)
- 1912 - Clara Barton, Nurse who founded the American Red Cross (b. 1821)
- 1945 - Franklin D. Roosevelt, Lawyer, Politician and 32nd US President from 1933-1945 (b. 1882)
- 1981 - Joe Louis, US Heavyweight boxing champion (b. 1914)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1986 - Arianna Huffington weds politician Michael Huffington
- 1996 - Dennis Hopper, actor and filmaker weds actress Victoria Duffy
Quote of the Day
National Volunteer Week is April 23-29, 2017
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Recipe of the Day for April 12, is Healthy Banana Muffins from Kerry, at Healthy Diet Habits in honor of National Bake Week - April 7-13, 2014.
This Day in History
- 1606 - England adopts the Union Flag as the flag of English and Scottish ships
- 1892 - A patent for a portable typewriter is given to George Glickensderfer
- 1933 - Moffatt Field is commissioned
- 1934 - The strongest velocity wind ever recorded on the summit of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is 231 mph
- 1938 - New York is the first US state that requires medical tests for marriage licenses
- 1945 - US President Franklin D. Roosevelt dies while in office, so Vice President Harry Truman is sworn in as the 33rd US President
- 1955 - Dr. Jonas Salk develops the polio vaccine
- 1961 - The first person to orbit Earth is Yuri Alexeyevich Gagarin in Vostok 1
- 1966 - The first B-52 bombing in North Vietnam
- 1981 - The STS-1 Columbia mission is the first launch of a Space Shuttle
- 1987 - Texaco files for bankruptcy
- 1988 - Sony Bono, of Sony & Cher, is elected mayor of Palm Springs, CA
- 1991 - The US announces the closing of 31 major US Military bases
- 1992 - Euro Disneyland officially opens, but later changes its name to Disneyland Paris
- 1999 - US President Bill Clinton is cited for contempt of court for giving false statements in a sexual harassment civil lawsuit.
- 2009 - US Navy rescues Captain Richard Phillips. Three pirates are killed and a fourth is captured.
- 2013 - Mosque attacks in Iraq result in 11 people killed and 30 injured
This Day in Music
- 1954 - "Rock Around Clock" is recorded by Bill Haley & Comets
- 1963 - The Beatles release "From Me to You" in the UK
- 1963 - Bob Dylan performs his first major solo concert in New York City at the Town Hall
- 1969 - The 5th Dimension hits # 1 for six weeks on the US singles chart with "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In"
- 1975 - Linda Ronstadt releases "When Will I Be Loved"
- 1989 - Garth Brooks, American Country singer, releases his debt album titled "Garth Brooks". Included on the album is his first #1 hit, "If Tomorrow Never Comes", and "The Dance" which was the 1990 Song of the Year and Video of the Year at the Academy of Country Music Awards.
Vince Gill was born on this day in 1957. One of my favorites of his songs, is "I Still Believe in You".
This Day in Sports
- 1877 - First baseball game that used a catcher's mask
- 1964 - Arnold Palmer shoots a 276, and wins the 28th Golf Masters Championship
- 1965 - The Phillies beat the Astros 2-0 at the 1st NL game at Houston's Astrodome
- 1980 - The US Olympic Committee endorses a boycott of the Moscow Olympic Games
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Having Hooves
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!