Holidays and Observances
2015 Daily Holidays that fall on April 20, include:
- Lima Bean Respect Day
- Look a Like Day
- National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day
- National Pot Smokers Day - April 20 (Also known as 4/20, Weed Day or National Weed Day)
- Patriot's Day - April 20, 2015 (Third Monday of April)
- UN Chinese Language Day
2015 Weekly Holidays that include April 20, are:
- Administrative Professional's Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Last Week of April)
- Animal Cruelty / Human Violence Awareness Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Third Week in April)
- Astronomy Week - April 20-26, 2015 (Movable Week determined by the 1st quarter Moon)
- Cleaning for a Reason Week - April 18-24
- Every Kid Healthy Week - April 20-24, 2015
- Medical Laboratory Professionals Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Third Full Week of April)
- Money Smart Week - April 18-25, 2015
- National Coin Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Crime Victims' Rights Week - April 19-25, 2015
- National Environmental Education Week - April 19-25, 2015
- National Infants Immunization Week - April 18-25, 2015
- National Infertility Awareness Week - April 19-25, 2015
- National Karaoke Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Medical Laboratory Professionals Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Last Full Week of April)
- National Organ / Tissue Donor Awareness Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Last Week of April)
- National Osteopathic Medicine Week - April 19-25, 2015
- National Park Week - April 18-26, 2015
- National Pet ID Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Third Week of April)
- National Playground Safety Week - April 20-24, 2015
- National Princess Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Last Full Week of April)
- National Sky Awareness Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Last Full Week of April)
- National Student Leadership Week - April 19-25, 2015 (Third Week of April)
- World Laboratory Animal Liberation Week - April 18-26, 2015 (Week that surrounds April 24th each year)
- World Week for Animals in Laboratories - April 19-25, 2015
2015 Monthly Holidays that include April 20, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our April Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of April.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Boston Marathon - April 20, 2015 (Third Monday of April)
The Astrological Sign for April 20 is Aries.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for April are:
- Daisy - signifies innocence, loyal love, and purity
- Sweet Pea - signify blissful pleasure, but are also used to say good-bye.
The Birthstone(s) for April is the diamond, a symbol of enduring love.
- 1850 - Daniel Chester French, the American sculptor who designed the Lincoln statue (d. 1931)
- 1889 - Adolf Hitler, Austrian-German dictator, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1945)
- 1923 - Mother Angelica, American nun and broadcaster, who founded Eternal Word Television Network
- 1937 - George Takei, American actor (Star Trek) He also has one of the most popular Facebook pages!
- 1941 - Ryan O'Neal, American actor (Love Story)
- 1949 - Jessica Lange, American actress
- 1983 - Miranda Kerr, Australian model
- 1999 - Victims and shooters of the Columbine High School massacre
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1968 - Washington Post reporter Carl Bernstein, marries Carol Honsa who was also a reporter.
Quote of the Day
I don't know why....but I thought this was pretty hysterical when I first saw it!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
If the research is correct that sugar is tied to insulin resistance, diabetes, high blood pressure, metabolic syndrome, and cancer, it might be a great idea to limit sugar in your kids' Easter baskets!
Substitute in some healthy foods, or treats that are not food like a fun family day trip, crafts, stuffed animals, small toys or games. Let's make some new traditions that are not centered on sugar! We have been played long enough by the sugar industry!
Find out more info. about sugar and whether it is toxic, from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 295 - 8th recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet
- 1799 - Napoleon issues a degree calling for establishing Jerusalem for Jews
- 1836 -U.S. Congress passes an act creating the Wisconsin Territory
- 1861 - Battle of Norfolk, VA during the American Civil War
- 1871 - The Civil Rights Act of 1871 becomes law
- 1939 - Adolf Hitler's 50th birthday is celebrated as a National Holiday in Nazi, Germany
- 1946 - The League of Nations officially dissolves, giving most of its power to the United Nations
- 1951 - The first surgical replacement of a human organ was performed by Dan Gavriliu
- 1972 - Apollo 16 lands on the moon.
- 1978 - Korean Air Lines Flight 90 is shot down by the Soviet Union.
- 1983 - U.S. President Ronald Reagan signs a $165B bail out for Social Security
- 1999 -13 people are kills and 24 injured during the Columbine High School massacre located in Jefferson County, Colorado. The two shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold committed suicide after the shootings. While the cause has never been determined, the link between bullying and school violence has been receiving more attention since this event.
- 2013 - The last reactor is shut down at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant in Japan
- 2013 - A 7.0 earthquake strikes Lushan County China, killing 193 people and injuring thousands
This Day in Music
- 1865 - Crosby Opera House opens in Chicago
- 1939 - Billie Holidays records 'Strange Fruit', the first civil rights song
- 1971 - Barbra Streisand records 'We've Only Just Begun'
- 1974 - Paul McCartney & Wings release their single 'Band on the Run'
- 1992 - Madonna signs a $60 million deal with Time Warner
Above is an acoustic version from Hillsong United, of their song 'Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)'. It is a long song, but very beautiful.
The Hillsong United Band is a worship band that originated as a part of Hillsong Church, in Sydney, Australia. This song hit number one on the American Billboard Christian Songs chart at the end of 2013.
And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine
This Day in Sports
- 1912 - Fenway Park in Boston officially opens, with the Red Sox beating the NY Highlanders 7-6 in 11
- 1912 - Tiger Stadium in Detroit officially opens with the Tigers beating the Cleveland Indians 6-5
- 1920 - The Olympic games opens in Antwerp Belgium
- 1916 - Weeghman Park in Chicago opens, and the Chicago Cubs beat the Cincinnati Reds 7-6
- 1996 - The Chicago Bulls win a record 72 games in a season
- 2008 - Danica Patrick wins the Indy Japan 300, and becomes the first female driver to win an Indy car race
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (law) An arrest warrant; a writ commanding officers to take a specified person or persons into custody.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!