Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on April 20, include:
- Get to Know Your Customer Day - April 20, 2017 (Third Thursday of the Start of Each Quarter, Jan/April/July/Oct)
- GiveOUTDay - April 20, 2017
- Lima Bean Respect Day
- Look a Like Day
- National Ask An Atheist Day - April 20, 2017 (Third Thursday of April)
- National D.A.R.E. Day - April 20, 2017 (Third Thursday in April)
- National High Five Day - April 20, 2017 (Third Thursday of April)
- National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day
- National Pot Smokers Day - (Also known as 4/20, Weed Day or National Weed Day)
- UN Chinese Language Day
2017 Weekly Holidays that include April 20, are:
- Animal Cruelty / Human Violence Awareness Week - April 16-22, 2017 (Third Week in April)
- Cleaning for a Reason Week - April 18-24
- Consumer Awareness Week - April 18-23
- International Wildlife Film Week - April 15-22, 2017
- National Coin Week - April 16-22, 2017 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Egg Salad Week - April 17-23, 2017 (Movable Week observed the week after Easter)
- National Infants Immunization Week - April 16-22, 2017 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Karaoke Week - April 16-22, 2017 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Organ / Tissue Donor Awareness Week - April 17-23, 2017 (Last Week of April)
- National Osteopathic Medicine Week - April 16-22, 2017
- National Paperboard Packaging Week - April 16-22, 2017
- National Park Week - April 15-22, 2017
- National Pet ID Week - April 16-22, 2017 (Third Week of April)
- National Toddler Immunization Week - April 16-22, 2017
- Police Officers Who Gave Their Lives in the Line of Duty Week - April 18-23
- Safe Kids Week - April 17-22, 2017
2017 Monthly Holidays that include April 20, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our April Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of April.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Fiddler's Frolic - April 20-23, 2017
The Astrological Sign for April 20 is Aries.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for April are:
- Daisy - signifies innocence, loyal love, and purity
- Sweet Pea - signify blissful pleasure, but are also used to say good-bye.
The Birthstone(s) for April is the diamond, a symbol of enduring love.
- 1850 - Daniel Chester French, the American sculptor who designed the Lincoln statue (d. 1931)
- 1889 - Adolf Hitler, Austrian-German dictator, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1945)
- 1923 - Mother Angelica, American nun and broadcaster, who founded Eternal Word Television Network
- 1937 - George Takei, American actor (Star Trek) He also has one of the most popular Facebook pages!
- 1941 - Ryan O'Neal, American actor (Love Story)
- 1949 - Jessica Lange, American actress
- 1983 - Miranda Kerr, Australian model
- 1999 - Victims and shooters of the Columbine High School massacre
- 2016 - Joan Marie Laurer (Chyna) - American wrestler (b. 1969)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1968 - Washington Post reporter Carl Bernstein, marries Carol Honsa who was also a reporter.
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Info. to come!
This Day in History
- 295 - 8th recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet
- 1799 - Napoleon issues a degree calling for establishing Jerusalem for Jews
- 1836 -U.S. Congress passes an act creating the Wisconsin Territory
- 1861 - Battle of Norfolk, VA during the American Civil War
- 1871 - The Civil Rights Act of 1871 becomes law
- 1939 - Adolf Hitler's 50th birthday is celebrated as a National Holiday in Nazi, Germany
- 1946 - The League of Nations officially dissolves, giving most of its power to the United Nations
- 1951 - The first surgical replacement of a human organ was performed by Dan Gavriliu
- 1972 - Apollo 16 lands on the moon.
- 1978 - Korean Air Lines Flight 90 is shot down by the Soviet Union.
- 1983 - U.S. President Ronald Reagan signs a $165B bail out for Social Security
- 1999 -13 people are kills and 24 injured during the Columbine High School massacre located in Jefferson County, Colorado. The two shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold committed suicide after the shootings. While the cause has never been determined, the link between bullying and school violence has been receiving more attention since this event.
- 2013 - The last reactor is shut down at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant in Japan
- 2013 - A 7.0 earthquake strikes Lushan County China, killing 193 people and injuring thousands
This Day in Music
- 1865 - Crosby Opera House opens in Chicago
- 1939 - Billie Holidays records 'Strange Fruit', the first civil rights song
- 1971 - Barbra Streisand records 'We've Only Just Begun'
- 1974 - Paul McCartney & Wings release their single 'Band on the Run'
- 1992 - Madonna signs a $60 million deal with Time Warner
Above is an acoustic version from Hillsong United, of their song 'Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)'. It is a long song, but very beautiful.
The Hillsong United Band is a worship band that originated as a part of Hillsong Church, in Sydney, Australia. This song hit number one on the American Billboard Christian Songs chart at the end of 2013.
And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine
This Day in Sports
- 1912 - Fenway Park in Boston officially opens, with the Red Sox beating the NY Highlanders 7-6 in 11
- 1912 - Tiger Stadium in Detroit officially opens with the Tigers beating the Cleveland Indians 6-5
- 1920 - The Olympic games opens in Antwerp Belgium
- 1916 - Weeghman Park in Chicago opens, and the Chicago Cubs beat the Cincinnati Reds 7-6
- 1996 - The Chicago Bulls win a record 72 games in a season
- 2008 - Danica Patrick wins the Indy Japan 300, and becomes the first female driver to win an Indy car race
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (law) An arrest warrant; a writ commanding officers to take a specified person or persons into custody.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!