Holidays and Observances
2021 Daily Holidays that fall on April 22, include:
- April Showers Day
- Chemists Celebrate the Earth Day
- Earth Day
- Girl Scout Leader Appreciation Day
- Global Selfie Earth Day
- In God We Trust Day
- International Girls in Information and Telecommunication Technologies Day - April 22, 2021 (Fourth Thursday in April)
- International Mother Earth Day
- Love Your Thighs Day - April 22, 2021 (Fourth Thursday in April)
- Mother Earth Day
- National Jelly Bean Day
- National Teach Children to Save Day - April 22, 2021
- Oklahoma Day
- Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day - April 22, 2021 (Fourth Thursday in April)
- Technologies Day - April 22, 2021 (Fourth Thursday in April)
2021 Weekly Holidays that include April 22, are:
- Administrative Professional's Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Last Full Week of April)
- American Fancy Rat & Mouse Day - April 22-24, 2021
- American Quilters Society Week - April 21-24, 2021
- Animal Cruelty / Human Violence Awareness Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Third Week in April)
- Chemists Celebrate Earth Week - April 18-24, 2021
- Cleaning for a Reason Week - April 18-24
- Consumer Awareness Week - April 18-23
- Every Kid Healthy Week - April 19-23, 2021
- Fibroid Awareness Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Fourth Week in April)
- Gathering of Nations PowWow - April 22-24, 2021
- Health Information Professionals Week - April 18-24, 2021
- International Wildlife Film Week - April 17 - May 15, 2021
- National Coin Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Third Full Week of April)
- National Crime Victims' Rights Week - April 18-24, 2021
- National Dance Week - April 16-25, 2021
- National Environmental Education Week - April 19-23, 2021
- National Green Week - February 7 - April 30, 2021
- National Infertility Awareness Week - April 18-24, 2021
- National Karaoke Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Medical Laboratory Professionals Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Last Full Week of April)
- National Organ / Tissue Donor Awareness Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Last Week of April)
- National Osteopathic Medicine Week - April 18-24, 2021
- National Paperboard Packaging Week - April 18-24, 2021
- National Park Week - April 17-25, 2021
- National Pet ID Week - April 17-23, 2021 (Third Week of April)
- National Princess Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Last Full Week of April)
- National Stationary Week - April 19-25, 2021
- National Student Leadership Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Third Week of April)
- National Volunteer Week - April 18-24, 2021
- Orthodox Lent - March 15 - May 1, 2021
- Police Officers Who Gave Their Lives in the Line of Duty Week - April 18-23
- Ramadan - Evening of April 12, 2021 - Evening of May 11, 2021
- Sky Awareness Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Last Full Week in April)
- Undergraduate Research Week - April 19-23, 2021
- World Laboratory Animal Liberation Week - April 18-24, 2021 (Week that surrounds April 24th each year)
2021 Monthly Holidays that include April 22, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our April Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of April.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Festival of Ridvan - April 20 - May 1, 2021
- Fiddler's Frolic - April 22-25, 2021
The Astrological Sign for April 22 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for April are:
- Daisy - signifies innocence, loyal love, and purity
- Sweet Pea - signify blissful pleasure, but are also used to say good-bye.
The Birthstone(s) for April is the diamond, a symbol of enduring love.
- 1832 - Julius Sterling Morton, was an American Journalist and politician (Governor of Nebraska), who started Arbor Day (d. 1902)
- 1870 - Vladimir Lenin was a USSR communist revolutionary and Premier of Russia
- 1872 - Princess Margaret of Prussia, Queen of Finland (d. 1954)
- 1906 - Eddie Albert, American actor (Green Acres) (d. 2005)
- 1923 - Aaron Spelling, American actor, screenwriter, and producer (Charlie's Angels) (d. 2006)
- 1936 - Glen Campbell, American country singer, songwriter, guitarist and actor (Time I Get to Phoenix)
- 1937 - Jack Nicholson, American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)
- 1946 - Steven L. Bennett, American captain, pilot and Medal of Honor recipient (d. 1972)
- 1950 - Peter Frampton, English singer, songwriter, guitarist and producer (Frampton Comes Alive)
- 1959 - Catherine Mary Stewart, Canadian actress
- 1972 - Willie Robertson, American TV personality and businessman (Duck Dynasty)
- 1980 - Jane Froman, American actress and singer (b. 1907)
- 1984 - Ansel Adam, American photographer (b. 1902)
- 1994 - Richard Nixon, American politician and lawyer who became the 37th President of the U.S. from 1969-1975 (b. 1913)
- 1996 - Erma Bombeck, American journalist and author (Grass is Greener) (b. 1927)
- 2004 - Jason Dunham, American soldier and Medal of Honor recipient (b. 1981)
- 2004 - Pat Tillman - American football player and U.S. Army Ranger who was killed in action (b. 1976)
- 2008 - Paul Davis, American singer and songwriter (born on April 21, 2948) - One of his top hits, "I Go Crazy" is featured on our April 21 page
- 2013 - Richie Havens, American singer, songwriter and guitarist who opened the 1969 Woodstock rock festival (b. 1941)
- 2017 - Erin Moran, American actress (Happy Days, Joanie Loves Chachi) (b. 1960)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1939 - Douglas Fairbanks Jr., an actor and naval office of World War II, marries Mary Lee Hartford
- 2000 - Emmitt Smith, NFL football player weds Patricia Southall, Miss Virginia USA beauty queen
- 2006 - Kevin Dillon, actor, weds Jane Stuart, model-actress
Quote of the Day
We can all contribute in some way to help take care of our Earth!
This is a quote from Sydney Smith, who was an English writer, and cleric
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Photo above used with permission from the Meatless Monday website!
Today, April 22 is Earth Day! Kerry has done some great Healthy Diet Habit Eating Tips to support Earth Day, that we can practice every day of the year!
- Practice Healthy Grocery Shopping
- Practice Portion Control
- Limit Eating Meat - Consider at least joining Meatless Monday!
- Use ALL Leftovers
- Make a pot of Healthy Soup Every Week
- Learn to Can and Freeze
- Join a CSA, or Shop at a Farmers Market
- Drink Tap Water
- Purchase Organics
Find out more about each of these items on our EATING HABITS page!!
This Day in History
- 1823 - Roller skates are patented by R. J. Ryers
- 1864 - The U.S. Congress passes the Coinage Act of 1864 that mandates that "In God We Trust" be placed on all coins minted as U.S. currency
- 1889 - Oklahoma land rush officially starts at high noon and Oklahoma City and Guthrie are formed within hours
- 1898 - Congress passes the Volunteer Army Act calling for a Volunteer Cavalry
- 1915 - 1st military use of poison gas (chlorine) by Germany during World War I
- 1930 - U.S., United Kingdom, and Japan sign the London Naval Treaty which limits shipbuilding and regulates submarine warfare
- 1945 - The Concentration Camp at Sachsenhausen is liberated
- 1969 - The 1st human eye transplant is performed
- 1970 - The 1st Earth Day is celebrated internationally to conserve natural resources
- 1976 - Barbara Walters becomes the 1st female nightly network news anchor
- 1977 - Optical fiber is used to carry live telephone traffic for the first time
- 1981 - Tucson, Arizona has the largest U.S. bank robbery, with more than $3.3 million stolen
- 1993 - The Holocaust Memorial Museum is dedicated in Washington D.C.
- 1998 - Disney's Animal Kingdom opens at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida
- 2008 - The U.S. Air Force retires the remaining F-117 Nighthawk aircraft in service
- 2016 - The U.N. sign the Paris Agreement regarding Climate Change
Leigh's son Ryan and his wife Marlene visited Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2011
This Day in Music
- 1876 - Tsjaikovsky finishes his "Swan Lake" ballet
- 1978 - 1st appearance by the Blues Brothers (John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd) on Saturday Night Live
- 1978 - Bob Marley and the Wailers performed at the "One Love Peace Concert" in Jamaica
- 1985 - Prince released his album, "Around the World in a Day"
- 1989 - Guns N' Roses released "Patience"
- 1989 - Madonna's single "Like a Prayer" hits #1 on the US singles chart and remains at the top for three weeks
- 2003 - Madonna released her album, "American Life"
- 2010 - Bret Michaels was rushed to the hospital as a result of a brain hemorrhage
Guns N' Roses is an American hard rock band, but their Patience ballad was released using just three acoustic guitars.
Please check out our Music Holidays page!
This Day in Sports
- 1876 - The 1st National League baseball game in played in Philadelphia - Boston Braves beat the Philadelphia Athletics 6-5
- 1884 - Thomas Stevens starts a bike trip around the world that took 2 years and 9 months
- 1906 - The 1906 Summer Olympics were held in Athens Greece, but they were not officially recognized as they were between the III and IV Olympics
- 1906 - New rule puts umpire in sole charge of all game balls
- 1914 - Babe Ruth's 1st professional game as a pitcher is a 6-hit 6-0 win
- 1947 - 1st NBA Championship - the Philadelphia Warriors beat the Chicago Stags, 4 games to 2
- 1969 - Joe Frazier KOs Dave Zyglewick in 1 for heavyweight boxing title
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. The jargon of crossword puzzle answers, classically consisting of rare, archaic, or dialectal words.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!
Like this Page?
Like this Site?