Holidays and Observances
2018 Daily Holidays that fall on April 23, include:
- Army Reserves Birthday
- Canada Book Day
- Confederate Memorial Day - April 23, 2018 (States of AL, FL, GA)
- English Language Day
- Impossible Astronaut Day
- International Marconi Day
- International Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Day
- Movie Theatre Day
- National Cherry Cheesecake Day
- National English Muffin Day
- National Lost Dog Awareness Day
- National Picnic Day
- Saint George's Day
- State Holiday (Georgia) - April 23, 2018
- Take A Chance Day
- Talk Like Shakespeare Day
- UN English Language Day
- World Book and Copyright Day (also known as World Book Day or International Day of the Book)
- World Book Night
2018 Weekly Holidays that include April 23, are:
- Administrative Professional's Week - April 22-28, 2018 (Last Week of April)
- American Quilters Society Week - April 18-24, 2018
- Bed Bug Awareness Week - April 22-28, 2018
- Canadian Immunization Awareness Week - April 21-28, 2018 (Last Week in April)
- Chemists Celebrate Earth Week - April 22-28, 2018
- Cleaning for a Reason Week - April 18-24
- Consumer Awareness Week - April 18-23
- Every Kid Healthy Week - April 23-27, 2018
- Fibroid Awareness Week - April 22-28, 2018 (Fourth Week in April)
- International Dark Sky Week - April 22-28, 2018
- Money Smart Week - April 21-28, 2018
- National Dance Week - April 23 - May 4, 2018
- National Environmental Education Week - April 22-28, 2018
- National Infants Immunization Week - April 21-28, 2018 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Medical Laboratory Professionals Week - April 22-28, 2018 (Last Full Week of April)
- National Organ / Tissue Donor Awareness Week - April 22-29, 2018 (Last Week of April)
- National Park Week - April 21-29, 2018
- National Playground Safety Week - April 23-27, 2018
- National Princess Week - April 22-28, 2018 (Last Full Week of April)
- Police Officers Who Gave Their Lives in the Line of Duty Week - April 18-23
- Preservation Week - April 22-28, 2018
- Sky Awareness Week - April 22-28, 2018 (Last Full Week in April)
- UN Global Road Safety Week - April 23-29
- World Immunization Week - April 23-29, 2018
- World Laboratory Animal Liberation Week - April 22-28, 2018 (Week that surrounds April 24th each year)
2018 Monthly Holidays that include April 23, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our April Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of April.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for April 23 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for April are:
- Daisy - signifies innocence, loyal love, and purity
- Sweet Pea - signify blissful pleasure, but are also used to say good-bye.
The Birthstone(s) for April is the diamond, a symbol of enduring love.
- 1621 - William Penn, English admiral and politician (d. 1670)
- 1791 - James Buchanan, American politican, 15th President of the U.S. from 1857-1861) (d. 1868)
- 1928 - Shirley Temple, American actress, singer, dancer and diplomat (d. 2014)
- 1936 - Roy Orbison, American singer-songwriter (Traveling Wilburys) (Pretty Woman) (d. 1988)
- 1939 - Lee Majors, American actor ($6 Million Dollar Man, The Fall Guy)
- 1949 - Joyce DeWitt, American actress (Three's Company)
- 1960 - Valerie Bertinelli, American actress (One Day at a Time, Hot in Cleveland)
- 1961 - George Lopez, American actor, comedian, and talk show host
- 1966 - Tommy DeCarlo, American singer (Boston)
- 1967 - Melina Kanakaredes, American actress (CSI: New York)
- 1979 - Jaime King, American actress and model (Pearl Harbor, Hart of Dixie
- 303 - Saint George, Roman soldier and martyr. Patron saint of many lands including England (b. 275)
- 1616 - William Shakespeare, English playwright, poet, and actor (b 1564)
- 1850 - William Wordsworth, English poet (b. 1770)
- 1951 - Charles G. Dawes, 30th U.S. Vice President, banker, politician, and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1865)
- 1993 - Cesar Chavez, American farm worker, labor leader, and civil rights activist who co-founded the National Farm Workers Association (b. 1927)
- 1995 - Howard Cosell, American lawyer, journalist, sportscaster (Monday Night Football) (b. 1918)
- 2007 - Boris Yeltsin, 1st President of Russia (b. 1931)
- 2017 - Erin Moran, American actress (Happy Days) (b. 1960)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1956 - C.S. Lewis, novelist and poet, (Chronicles of Narnia) marries Joy Davidman in Oxford, England
- 1992 - British Princess Anne, and her 1st husband Captain Mark Phillips divorce after 19 years
Quote of the Day
Some great advice from William Shakespeare who died on this day, April 23, 1616!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
April is Emotional Overeating Awareness Month. Ending emotional eating, is about developing Healthy Diet Habits in your life! Emotional eating is a habit, and habits CAN BE changed!
Here are some tips and steps to take to end emotional eating, from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1635 - The 1st U.S. public school, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston, Massachusetts
- 1851 - Canada issues its 1st postage stamps
- 1861 - Robert E. Lee is named the commander of Virginia Confederate forces
- 1891 - Jews are expelled from Moscow, Russia
- 1904 - The American Academy of Arts & Letters forms
- 1949 - During the Chinese Civil War, the People's Liberation Army Navy is established
- 1962 - The 1st U.S. satellite to reach the moon is launched
- 1968 - The United Methodist Church forms
- 1984 - The AIDS virus is identified (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome)
- 1985 - Coca-Cola changes its formula and New Coke debuts - they change back to their original formula after less than 3 months
- 1990 - Namibia becomes the 50th member of the Commonwealth of Nations and the 160th member of the United Nations
- 1995 - U.S. President Clinton declares a National Day of Mourning for Oklahoma City
This Day in Music
- 1963 - Jan & Dean recorded 'Surf City'.
- 1971 - The Rolling Stones released their album 'Sticky Fingers'.
- 1985 - The 'We Are the World' album was released
- 1988 - Prince released the single 'Alphabet St.'
- 1988 - Whitney Houston hits # 1 on the U.S. charts with 'Where Do Broken Hearts Go'.
- 1993 - 'Tommy', a musical from Peter Townshend of the British group, The Who, premieres in NYC
- 1997 - The Four Tops received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Above, is Whitney Houston's, 'Where Do Broken Hearts Go', which hit #1 on this day in 1988. What an amazing voice!
This Day in Sports
- 1939 - Ted Williams, of the Boston Red Sox, hits his 1st Home Run
- 1950 - 1st major league day game completed under lights
- 1954 - Hank Aaron hits hit 1st of 755 home runs
- 1962 - NY Mets win their 1st game ever after going 0-9
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (usually pejorative) One who loves or worships the works of William Shakespeare.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!