Holidays and Observances
2015 Daily Holidays that fall on April 28, include:
- Biological Clock Day - April 28
- Great Poetry Reading Day - April 28
- Kiss your Mate Day - April 28
- National Blueberry Pie Day - April 28
- National Bulldogs are Beautiful Day - April 28
- Workers Memorial Day - April 28
- World Day for Safety and Health at Work - April 28
2015 Weekly Holidays that include April 28, are:
- Air Quality Awareness Week - April 27 - May 1, 2015
- Canadian Immunization Awareness Week - April 25 - May 2, 2015
- National Dance Week - April 24 - May 3, 2015
- Preservation Week - April 26 - May 2, 2015
- UN Global Road Safety Week - April 23-29
- World Immunization Week - April 24-30
2015 Monthly Holidays that include April 28, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our April Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of April.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for April 28 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for April are:
- Daisy - signifies innocence, loyal love, and purity
- Sweet Pea - signify blissful pleasure, but are also used to say good-bye.
The Birthstone(s) for April is the diamond, a symbol of enduring love.
- 1758 - James Monroe, American politician, soldier, lawyer and 5th President of the U.s from 1817-1825 (d. 1831)
- 1868 - Lucy Booth, English songwriter and Salvation Army commander (d. 1953)
- 1937 - Saddam Hussein, 5th President of Iraq (d. 2006)
- 1941 - Ann-Margret, Swedish-American actress, singer and dancer, (Tommy, Street Car Named Desire)
- 1950 - Jay Leno, American comedian, talk show host (Tonight Show), and producer
- 1952 - Mary McDonnell, American actress (Dances with Wolves, Independence Day)
- 1974 - Penelope Cruz - Spanish-American actress (Vanilla Sky)
- 1981 - Jessica Alba, American model, actress and co-founder of The Honest Company (Dark Angel, Sin City, Fantastic Four)
- 1945 - Benito Mussolini, Italian journalist, politician - 27th Prime Minister of Italy and leader of the National Fascist Party (b. 1883)
- 2007 - Tommy Newsom, American bandleader and saxophonist (The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson) (b. 1929)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1982 - George Foreman, professional boxer marries Andrea Skeete
- 2007 - Roma Downey, actress (Touched by an Angel) married Mark Burnett, Reality TV producer
Quote of the Day
I totally agree with this!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
April is National Food Month, so we have been concentrating on Healthy Foods. One great Healthy Diet Habit, is to choose Non GMO Foods.
Choosing non GMO foods is an educated decision! Each of us should be educated enough to make a decision about whether avoiding genetically modified foods is something that we should do.
Here are some important tips from Kerry, of Healthy Diet Habits, on choosing Non GMO Foods. (link goes to her website)
This Day in History
- 1770 - Captain James Cook and his crew of the Endeavour, lands at Botany Bay in Australia
- 1788 - Maryland becomes the 7th U.S. State to ratify the Constitution
- 1789 - Fletcher Christian leads the mutiny on the HMS Bounty and Captain William Bligh and 18 sailors are set adrift
- 1792 - France invades Belgium and starts the French Revolutionary War
- 1910 - The 1st night air flight in England
- 1932 - A yellow fever vaccine for humans is announced
- 1934 - Frankin D. Roosevelt signs the Home Owners Loan Act
- 1944 - During Exercise Tiger, a rehearsal for the Normandy landings during World War II, 9 German E-Boats attacked US and UK soldiers - 750 US soldiers died
- 1945 - Benito Mussolin and his mistress Clara Petacci are executed by firing squad by members of the Italian resistance movement
- 1952 - The World War II Pacific Peace Treaty takes effect
- 1952 - Dwight D. Eisenhower resigns as Supreme Allied Commander of NATO
- 1965 - U.S. Marines invade Dominican Republic to forestall establishment of a Communist dictatorship. They remain until October of 1966.
- 1973 - 82 500 pound bombs detonate at a railyard in Antelope, California over the course of 18 hours.
- 1988 - Aloha Airlines Boeing 737 has a roof that tears off during the flight and kills a stewardess
- 1994 - Aldrich Ames, a former CIA officer and his wife plead guilty to spying and giving U.S. secrets to the Soviet Union
This Day in Music
- 1940 - Glenn Miller records 'Pennsylvania 6-5000'
- 1966 - The Beatles, record 'Eleonor Rigby'
- 1973 - Pink Floyd's, The Dark Side of the Moon is the #1 Album
- 1974 - Grand Funk's The Loco-Motion hits #1
- 1975 - John Lennon makes a guest appearance on Tonight, and Ringo Star makes a guest appearance on the Smothers Brothers Show
- 1979 - Blondie's Heart of Glass hits #1
- 1999 - Members of The Verve release a statement announcing their breakup
- 1999 - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 2003 - Apple launches iTunes which works with their iPod
Above is Bittersweet symphony by The Verve! (Love this song!)
This Day in Sports
- 1956 - Cincinnati Reds Frank Robinson hits his 1st of 586 home runs
- 1967 - Muhammad Ali refuses induction into the Army and is stripped of his boxing title
- 1971 - Hank Aaron hits his 600th career home run. He ended his career with 755 home runs
- 1972 - Due to drugs given before the race to Dancer's Image, the 1968 Kentucky Derby money is given to the 2nd place winner
- 1985 - Billy Martin is named the New York Yankee Manager for the 4th time
- 1993 - 30 soccer players die when a Zambian plane craches in Libreville, Gabon
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
In a way that is stubbornly persistent: Abby marked the International Day of the Dog with her beloved Jack Russell terrier, despite how he was doggedly gnawing through her extensive collection of shoes.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!