Holidays and Observances
2016 Daily Holidays that fall on April 5, include:
- Go for Broke Day
- Gold Star Wives Day
- National Caramel Day
- National Dandelion Day
- National Deep Dish Pizza Day
- National Raisin and Spice Bar Day
- National Sexual Assault Awareness Month's Day of Action - April 5, 2016
2016 Weekly Holidays that include April 5, are:
- APAWS International Pooper Scooper Week - April 1-7
- Bat Appreciation Week - April 3-9, 2016 (First Full Week of April)
- Explore Your Career Options Week - April 4-10, 2016
- Golden Rule Week - April 1-7
- Hate Week - April 4-10
- Holocaust Remembrance Day or Yom HaShoah - Evening of April 4, 2016 to Evening of April 5, 2016
- Holocaust Remembrance Week - April 3-9, 2016 (Starts the Sunday before Yom HaShoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day, and continues through the following Sunday)
- Laugh at Work Week - April 1-7
- Medication Safety Week - April 1-7
- National Blue Ribbon Week - April 3-9, 2016 (First Full Week of April)
- National Public Health Week - April 3-9, 2016
- National Robotics Week - April 2-10, 2016
- National Week of the Ocean - April 3-9, 2016
- National Window Safety Week - April 3-9, 2016 (First Full Week of April)
- National Youth Violence Prevention Week - April 4-8, 2016
- Orthodox Lent - March 14 - April 22, 2016
- Testicular Cancer Awareness Week - April 1-7
2016 Monthly Holidays that include April 5, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our April Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of April.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- The Masters Tournament - April 4-10, 2016 - The Masters Tournament is one of the four major championships in professional golf. The event will be held at the Augusta National Golf Course in Augusta, GA
The Astrological Sign for April 5 is Aries.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for April are:
- Daisy - signifies innocence, loyal love, and purity
- Sweet Pea - signify blissful pleasure, but are also used to say good-bye.
See our new GARDEN HOLIDAYS page for all the special days celebrating things of the garden!
The Birthstone(s) for April is the diamond, a symbol of enduring love.
- 1856 – Booker T. Washington, American author and educator (d. 1915)
- 1908 – Bette Davis, American actress (d. 1989)
- 1937 – Colin Powell, American General and politician, 65th United States Secretary of State
- 1968 – Paula Cole, American singer-songwriter
- 1932 – Phar Lap, New Zealand race horse (b. 1926)
- 1964 – Douglas MacArthur, American General (b. 1880)
- 1992 – Sam Walton, American businessman, founded Walmart and Sam's Club (b. 1918)
- 1994 – Kurt Cobain, American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Nirvana) (b. 1967)
- 2008 – Charlton Heston, American actor (b. 1923)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1614 - American Indian Pocahontas, the daughter of Chief Powhatan, marries English colonist John Rolfe in Virginia.
Quote of the Day
Colin Powell, was born on this day in 1937. He is a retired four-star General in the United States Army and a politician. He was the 65th United States Secretary of State from 2001 to 2005, serving under President George W. Bush.
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Food terminology is a must when you are purchasing food to be an effective, healthy shopper! There are some standard food terms that are helpful to understand. Certified Naturally Grown, Certified Organic, Food Alliance Certified and Salmon Safe will be discussed on Kerry's Healthy Diet Habits website. (link above goes to her site)
- See our FOOD HOLIDAYS page for all the special days celebrating food!
- See our Holiday Food page for tips on healthy holiday food traditions in general, and for some sample meal plan ideas for some of the most popular holidays.
This Day in History
- 456 - St. Patrick returns to Ireland as a missionary bishop.
- 1722 - Easter Island is discovered by Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen.
- 1768 - The first U.S. Chamber of Commerce is formed in New York City.
- 1792 - US President George Washington veto's a bill for the first time ever.
- 1806 - Apple Cider is patented by Isaac Quintard.
- 1936 - An F5 tornado in Tupelo, Mississippi kills an estimated 233.
- 1879 - The War of the Pacific is started when Chili declares war on Bolivia and Peru.
- 1955 - Winston Churchill resigns as British Prime Minister.
- 1956 - Fidel Castro declares himself at war with the President of Cuba.
- 1964 - London Underground runs their 1st driverless trains.
- 1971 - Fran Phipps is the 1st woman to reach the North Pole.
- 1988 - The Akashi Kaikyo Bridge, the largest suspension bridge in the world opens in Japan.
This Day in Music
- 1803 - Beethoven's 2nd Symphony in D, is performed for the first time.
- 1954 - Elvis Presley records his debut single, "That's All Right"
- 1963 - The Beatles receive their 1st silver disc for "Please Please Me".
- 1971 - Chicago plays at Carnegie Hall
- 1978 - Duran Duran plays their first live event in Birmingham, England
- 1998 - The Spice Girls perform their first live UK concert in Glasgow, Scotland
- 2008 - The band Toto breaks up after their final concert
Duran Duran - Hungry like a Wolf
This Day in Sports
- 1904 - The first international rugby league match is played in Wigan, England.
- 1927 - New records are set in the 100 and 200 meter free style, by Johnny Weissmuller.
- 1967 - Wilt Chamberlain sets NBA record of 41 rebounds.
- 1968 - Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego is opened. The stadium was renamed Qualcomm Stadium in 1997.
- 1984 - Wilt Chamberlain's career scoring record of 31,419 points, is broken by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with 31,421 points.
- 1987 - Wayne Gretzky wins his 7th NHL scoring title
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. The quality of the embodiment of reptile characteristics.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!