Holidays and Observances
2021 Daily Holidays that fall on February 28, include:
- Car Keys and Small Change Day
- Floral Design Day
- Global Scouse Day
- Golden Globe Awards (Beverly Hills) - February 28, 2021
- International Repetitive Strain Injury Awareness Day
- Linus Pauling Day - (Local Observance in Oregon)
- National Chocolate Souffle Day
- National Public Sleeping Day
- National Science Day
- National Tooth Fairy Day
- Rare Disease Day - February 28, 2021 (Last Day of February)
2021 Weekly Holidays that include February 28, are:
- Fairtrade Fortnight - February 22 - March 7, 2021
- Girl Scout Cookie Weekend - February 26-28, 2021
- Lent - February 17 - March 29, 2021
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is April 4, 2021)
- National Green Week - February 7 - April 30, 2021
- National Pasty Week - February 28 - March 6, 2021
2021 Monthly Holidays that include February 28, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our February Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of February.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Whooping Crane Festival - February 25-28, 2021
- Golden Globe Awards - February 28, 2021 (Beverly Hills, CA)
- North Dakota Winter Show - February 28 - March 6, 2021 (Valley City, ND)
The Astrological Sign for February 28 is Pisces.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for February are:
- Violet - symbolizes faithfulness, loyalty, humility, wisdom, and hope
- Primrose - Modesty, distinction, and virtue
The Birthstone for February is Amethyst.
- 1906 – Bugsy Siegel, American gangster (d. 1947)
- 1923 – Charles Durning, American actor (d. 2012)
- 1931 – Gavin MacLeod, American actor (McHales Navy, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Love Boat)
- 1940 – Mario Andretti, Italian-American race car driver
- 1948 – Bernadette Peters, American actress and singer
- 1961 – Rae Dawn Chong, Canadian actress
- 1976 – Ali Larter, American actress and model (Heroes)
- 1984 – Karolína Kurková, Czech supermodel
- 1781 - Richard Stockton, US attorney and signor of the Declaration of Independence
- 1891 – George Hearst, American businessman and politician and father of William Randoph Hearst (Hearst Castle) (b. 1820)
- 1953 - Jim Thorpe, American athlete (Olympics gold medal in 1912)
- 1979 - Mr Ed, the talking horse, dies
- 2011 – Jane Russell, American actress (b. 1921)
- 2016 - George Kennedy, American actor (Airport movies, Cool Hand Luke) (b. 1925)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1993 - Tony Curtis weds Lisa Deutsch as his 4th wife
- 1998 - Baywatch actress Pamela Anderson divorces Motley Crue drummer, Tommy Lee after 3 years of marriage
Quote of the Day
Mario Andretti, an Italian-American race car driver was born on this day in 1940. He is one of the most successful Americans in the history of the sport, with 109 career wins on major circuits!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Recipe of the Day for February 28, is a Vegetarian Fried Rice with Vegetables Recipe from Kerry, of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1692 - Salem witch hunt begins
- 1784 – John Wesley charters the Methodist Church.
- 1827 – The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) is incorporated
- 1849 – Regular steamboat service from the west to the east coast of the United States begins
- 1854 - Republican Party formally organized at Ripon, Wiscconsin
- 1861 - Territories of Nevada & Colorado created
- 1883 – The first vaudeville theater opens in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1885 – The American Telephone and Telegraph Company is incorporated in New York State as the subsidiary of American Bell Telephone
- 1893 – The USS Indiana is launched by the US Navy
- 1935 – DuPont scientist Wallace Carothers invents nylon.
- 1954 – The first color television sets using the NTSC standard are offered for sale to the public
- 1961 - JFK names Henry Kissinger special advisor
- 1970 - Bicycles are permitted to cross the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, CA
- 1977 - 1st killer whale born in captivity at Marineland, in Los Angeles California)
- 1991 – The first Gulf War ends
- 1994 - Brady Law, imposing a waiting period to buy a hand gun, went into effect
- 1995 - Denver International Airport opens
- 1997 - Smokers must prove they are over 18 to purchase cigarettes in US
- 2013 – Pope Benedict XVI formally retires from the papacy – the first pope to do so in nearly 600 years
This Day in Music
- 1970 -
Simon and Garfunkel,'s Bridge Over Troubled Water - hits #1 and stays on top for six weeks
- 1986 -
George Michael announced that Wham! would officially split during the
- 1996 - At the 38th Grammy Awards, Alanis Morissette won album of the
year for Jagged Little Pill, best female rock vocal, & best song for You Oughta Know
- 1996 - At the Grammy Awards, Nirvana's Unplugged won best alternative album
- 2006 - At the 48th Grammy Awards, Stevie Wonder's From The Bottom Of My Heart wins in the Best Male Pop Vocal Performance category
This Day in Sports
- 1940 – Basketball is televised for the first time
- 1959 - Men's Figure Skating Championship in Colo Springs won by David Jenkins of the USA
- 1960 - 8th winter Olympic games close at Squaw Valley, CA (Squaw Valley is the Ski Resort, Olympic Valley is the name of the Valley)
- 1960 - US wins Olympic hockey gold medal by defeating Canada
- 1970 - Caroline Walker runs world female record marathon (3:02:53)
- 1988 - 15th Winter Olympic games close at Calgary, Canada
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
kettle of fish (noun)
1. An awkward situation; a predicament.
2. A situation which is recognized as different from or as an
alternative to some other situation, and which is not necessarily
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!
Like this Page?
Like this Site?