Holidays and Observances
2019 Daily Holidays that fall on January 27, include:
- 2019 Pro Bowl - January 27, 2019
- Auschwitz Liberation Day
- Chocolate Cake Day
- Holocaust Memorial Day - (United Kingdom)
- International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust
- National Bible Sunday - January 27, 2019 (Fourth Sunday in January)
- National Geographic Day
- Punch the Clock Day
- Thomas Crapper Day
- Vietnam Peace Day
- World Leprosy Day - January 27, 2019 (Last Sunday in January)
Auschwitz Concentration Camp in Poland used during World War II
2019 Weekly Holidays that include January 27, are:
- Catholic Schools Week - January 27, 2019 - February 2, 2019 (Begins on the last Sunday in January)
- International Snowmobile Safety and Awareness Week - January 19-27, 2019
- National Drug & Alcohol Awareness Week - January 22-27, 2019
- National Meat Week - January 27 - February 2, 2019 (Begins on last Sunday of January)
2019 Monthly Holidays that include January 27, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out my January Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of January.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Harbin Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival - Starts annually on January 5, and typically runs for a month or more, in Harbin, China and is the largest ice and snow festival in the world!
- National Western Stock Show and Rodeo - January 12-27, 2019 (Denver, CO)
- North American International Auto Show - January 14-27, 2019 (Detroit, MI)
- International Circus Festival of Monte Carlo - January 17-27, 2019 (Monaco)
- Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show - January 18 - February 9, 2019 (Fort Worth, TX)
- Sundance Film Festival - January 24 - February 3, 2019 - An American Film festival held each year in Park City, Utah.
- Saint Paul Winter Carnival - January 24 - February 3, 2019 (St. Paul, MN)
- Rolex 24 at Daytona - January 26-27, 2019 (Daytona, FL)
- 2019 Pro Bowl - January 27, 2019
The Astrological Sign for January 27 is an Aquarius.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for January are:
- Carnation - The Carnation is the Birth Flower for January. The symbolization of the Carnation means love, pride, beauty, purity, distinction, fascination, and loyal.
- Snowdrop is a white flower with three small petals in the middle surrounded by three larger petals on the outside. The symbolization of the snowdrop means love, fascination, and purity.
See our GARDEN HOLIDAYS page for all the special days celebrating things of the garden!
The Birthstone for January is Garnet, which comes in a rainbow of colors. It is considered a great gift to symbolize friendship and trust.
- 1756 – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Austrian composer (d. 1791)
- 1832 – Lewis Carroll, English author (d. 1898) (Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass)
- 1850 – Edward J. Smith, English captain of the RMS Titanic (d. 1912)
- 1908 – William Randolph Hearst, Jr., American newspaper magnate (d. 1993)
- 1595 – Sir Francis Drake, English explorer (b. c.1540) ( Elizabeth I of England awarded Drake a knighthood in 1581)
- 1910 – Thomas Crapper, English inventor (b. 1836)
- 2010 – J. D. Salinger, American novelist (b. 1919) (Catcher in The Rye)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1937 - Singer Nat King Cole marries dancer Nadine Robinson
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Recipe of the Day is a Chocolate Strawberry Bread Recipe from Kerry, at Healthy Diet Habits. This is a lightened recipe that should work for celebrating Chocolate Cake Day today!
This Day in History
- 1671 - Pirate Henry Morgen lands at Panama City
- 1785 – The University of Georgia is founded, the first public university in the United States.
- 1864 - Civil War skirmish at Kelly's Ford, Va
- 1880 - Thomas Edison patents electric incandescent lamp
- 1888 – The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C.
- 1915 - US Marines occupy Haiti
- 1918 - Tarzan of the Apes, the 1st Tarzan movie, premieres
- 1948 - 1st tape recorder sold
- 1973 - US & Vietnam sign cease-fire
- 1976 - "Laverne & Shirley" spinoff from "Happy Days" premieres on ABC TV
- 1977 - 1st broadcast of "Roots" mini-series on ABC TV
- 1996 – Germany first observes International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
- 2006 – Western Union discontinues its Telegram and Commercial Messaging services.
This Day in Music
- 1956 - Elvis Presley, Heartbreak Hotel is released. The song sold 300,000 copies in its first week, and would eventually sell over a million, becoming Elvis' first Gold record.
- 1961 - Frank Sinatra played a benefit show at Carnegie Hall in New York City for Martin Luther King.
- 1962 - Elvis Presley's, Can't Help Falling In Love is certified gold.
- 1968 - Otis Redding, (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay is released
- 1968 - The Bee Gees made their live debut in the US when they played at the Anaheim Center in California
- 1972 - The New Seekers' I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing is certified gold.
- 1973 - Stevie Wonder's Superstition hits #1 - this is his second #1
- 1984 - At the peak of his popularity, Michael Jackson films an ad for Pepsi which goes horribly wrong when some stray pyro sets his hair on fire and causes him second degree burns.
- 1990 - Kylie Minogue had her third UK #1 single with Tears On My
Pillow, which was originally a US hit for Little Anthony and The
Imperials in 1958. (shown below)
This Day in Sports
- 1894 - 1st college basketball game, U of Chicago beats Chicago YMCA 19-11
- 1963 - Sam Rice, Eppa Rixey, Elmer Flick, & John Clarkson elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- 1984 - LA Kings end Wayne Gretzky's NHL-record 51-game scoring streak
- 1991 - Superbowl XXV: NY Giants beat Buffalo Bills, 20-19 in Tampa Superbowl. The MVP is, Ottis Anderson, NY Giants, RB
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. The process of doubting or the state of being in doubt; hesitation, uncertainty.
2. A pang or expression of doubt.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!