Holidays and Observances
2021 Daily Holidays that fall on July 20, include:
- Fortune Cookie Day
- International Cake Day
- International Chess Day
- Moon Day
- Nap Day
- National Ice Cream Soda Day
- National Lollipop Day
- National Ugly Truck Contest Day
- Space Exploration Day
- World Jump Day
2021 Weekly Holidays that include July 20, are:
2021 Monthly Holidays that include July 20, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our July Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of July.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for July 20 is Cancer.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month of July are:
- Larkspur - Levity and lightness. Strong bonds of Love are represented by Larkspur.
The Birthstone(s) for July is:
- Rubies which are said to guarantee health, wisdom, wealth, and success in love
- 356 BC - Alexander the Great, Macedonian King (d. 323 BC)
- 1889 - John Reith, 1st Baron Reith, Scottish broadcaster who co-founded BBC (d. 1971)
- 1929 - Mike Ilitch, American businessman who co-founded Little Caesars (d. 2017)
- 1938 - Natalie Wood, American actress (d. 1981)
- 1945 - Kim Carnes, American singer and songwriter (Bette Davis eyes)
- 1969 - Josh Holloway, American actor (Lost)
- 1973 - Sandra Oh, Canadian actress (Grey's Anatomy)
- 1923 - Pancho Villa, Mexican general and politician, (b. 1878)
- 1973 - Bruce Lee, American actor and martial artist and instructor (b. 1940)
- 2017 - Chester Bennington, American singer who was the lead singer of Linkin Park (b. 1976)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1991 - Growing Pains actor Kirk Cameron marries his co-star Chelsea Noble
- 1996 - Actress Bernadette Peters marries investment adviser Michael Wittenberg
Quote of the Day
Today, July 20th is Fortune Cookie Day! It's silly, but I love the tradition of receiving a fortune when I order Chinese Food!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Understanding your food history is the lifestyle solution to successful weight control and weight loss! I am convinced of this! Two quotes that have changed my entire thinking on this matter are:
- Weight Control may be the only area of health care, where a person's history is totally ignored!
- Most people gain back the same weight, with the same foods, on the same days of the week, at the same times, over and over again!
Your personal food history will show you all of your unique patterns and how you deal with food in your life. You are predictable and can develop unique strategies that work for you!
Find out more about your food history from Kerry's Healthy Diet Habits website!
This Day in History
- 1848 - Seneca Falls, New York hosts the first Women's Rights Convention
- 1871 - British Columbia joins the confederation of Canada
- 1903 - The Ford Motor Company ships its first automobile
- 1934 - During the Minneapolis Teamsters Strike of 1934, Police fire upon striking truck drivers, killing two and wounding sixty-seven
- 1934 - In Seattle, WA police fire tear gas on 2,000 striking longshoremen
- 1940 - Denmark leaves the League of Nations
- 1940 - California opens its first freeway, the Pasadena freeway or the Arroyo Seco Parkway as it is officially known
- 1944 - During World War II, Adolf Hitler survives an assassination attempt by German Army Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg
- 1949 - Israel and Syria sign a truce to end their nineteen-month war
- 1951 - King Abdullah I of Jordan is assassinated by a Palestinian
- 1960 - A Polaris missile is successfully launched for the first time from a submarine, the USS George Washington
- 1969 - Americans Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin become the first humans to walk on the Moon during the Apollo 11 landing on the Moon in the Sea of Tranquility
- 1976 - The American Viking 1 lands successfully on Mars
- 1977 - Under the Freedom of Informationa Act, the CIA releases documents that it had engaged in mind-control experiments
- 1977 - The Johnstown flood in Pennsylvania kills 84 people and causes millions of dollars worth of damages
- 1985 - The government of Aruba passes legislation to secede from the Netherlands Antilles
- 1997 - The fully restored USS Constitution celebrates its 200th birthday by setting sale for the first time in 116 years
- 2012 - James Holmes opened fire at a move theater in Aurora, Colorado, killing 12 and injuring 70 others
- 2015 - After five decades the United States and Cuba resume full diplomatic relations
This Day in Music
- 1965 - Do You Believe in Magic? by The Lovin' Spoonful is released
- 1965 - Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan is released
- 1968 - Trumpet composition Grazing in the Grass by Hugh Masekela hits #1 in America
- 1986 - Santana celebrates their 20th anniversary by playing a concert in San Francisco with all 17 current and former members
Above is a cover of Do You Believe in Magic? by Aly and AJ
This Day in Sports
- 1968 - The first International Special Olympics Summer Games are held at Soldier Field in Chicago with around 1,000 athletes participating
- 1976 - Playing against the Angels, Hank Aaron hits his last home run for a career total of 755 home runs
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Strictly attentive to detail; meticulous or fastidious, particularly to codes or conventions.
2. Precise or scrupulous; finicky or nitpicky.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!
Like this Page?
Like this Site?