Holidays and Observances
2021 Daily Holidays that fall on July 31, include:
- Cotton Candy Day
- Jump for Jelly Beans Day
- Mutt's Day
- National Avocado Day
- National Day of Lament - July 31, 2021
- Paddle for Perthes Disease Awareness Day - July 31, 2021 (Last Saturday in July)
- Shredded Wheat Day
- Uncommon Instruments Awareness Day
- World Ranger Day
2021 Weekly Holidays that include July 31, are:
2021 Monthly Holidays that include July 31, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our July Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of July.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
The Astrological Sign for July 31 is Leo.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month of July are:
- Larkspur - Levity and lightness. Strong bonds of Love are represented by Larkspur.
The Birthstone(s) for July is:
- Rubies which are said to guarantee health, wisdom, wealth, and success in love
- 1943 - Lobo, American singer, and songwriter (Me and You and a dog named Boo)
- 1962 - Wesley Snipes, American actor and producer
- 1965 - J.K. Rowling, English author and film producer who created the Harry Potter series
- 1875 - Andrew Johnson, American General and political who became the 17th President of the United States (b. 1808)
- 1953 - Robert A. Taft, American soldier and politician (b 1889)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1951 - Musician Ray Charles marries Eileen Williams
- 2010 - Singer Alicia Keys marries producer Swizz Beatz on the island of Corsica
Quote of the Day
July 31st is Mutt's Day!
- The Best Therapist has fur and four legs!
- A Dog is the only thing on Earth that loves you more than himself!
- Sometimes a Dog is the only one that can fill the void in your empty heart!
- The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a Dog! ~ M.K. Clinton
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Dieting is a multi-million dollar business in the United States. Many of us are Yo-Yo Dieters. We are on and off of diets consistently. Millions of us are searching for the latest greatest diet.
We start a new diet on Mondays, and might do fairly well through the week, but it’s over by Friday when we begin our weekend festivities that center on food.
We watched our mothers do this. We believe it is just what we do! Dieting says that if you follow the diet rules and practice willpower, you will be successful.
Find out more about Dieting from Kerry's Healthy Diet Habits website!
This Day in History
- 781 - The first recorded eruption of Mount Fuji in Japan
- 1498 - Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad on his third voyage to the West
- 1856 - Christchurch, New Zealand is chartered as a city
- 1941 - The Battle of Smolensk during World War II ends with Germany capturing approx. 300,000 Soviet Red Army prisoners
- 1948 - New York International Airport is dedicated. If will be renamed as John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 1964 - Ranger 7 sends back the first close up photographs of the moon
- 1971 - Apollo 15 astronauts become the first to ride in a lunar rover
- 1973 - Delta Air Lines DL 723 crashes while landing in fog at Logan International Airport, Boston, Massachusetts killing 89
- 1988 - A bridge at the Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal collapses in Butterworth, Penang, Malaysia killing 32 and injuring 1,674 people
- 1991 - The US and Soviet Union both sign the START I Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty to reduce stockpiles
- 1992 - The nation of Georgia joins the United Nations
- 1992 - Thai Airways International Flight 311 crashed into a mountain north of Kathmandu, Nepal killing all 113 passengers/crew aboard
- 2006 - Fidel Castro hands over power to his brother, Raul
This Day in Music
- 1969 - Elvis Presley makes his first live concert appearance since March, 1961 in Vegas at the International Hotel in Las Vegas where he plays 57 shows
- 1971 - You've Got a Friend by James Taylor hits #1 in the US
- 1976 - The Breezin album by George Benson hits #1 in the US (video below)
- 1976 - Still the One by the Orleans is released
- 2010 - Switchfoot perform at the 2010 Boy Scouts of America National Jamboree final show
- 2016 - Justin Timberlake receives the Decade Award at the Teen Choice Awards
This Day in Sports
- 1930 - Lou Gehrig, first baseman for the NY Yankee hits a grand slam and 2 doubles in a 14-13 win over the Boston Red Sox. He was responsible for 8 of the runs
- 1988 - Jose Canseco is the 1st to hit 30 HRs in his first 3 years
- 2012 - Michael Phelps breaks the 1964 record for the most medals won at the Olympics, 19th career Olympic medal and 15th overall gold
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. A grove of small growth; a thicket of brushwood; a wood cut at certain times for fuel or other purposes, typically managed to promote growth and ensure a reliable supply of timber.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!
Like this Page?
Like this Site?