Holidays and Observances
2016 Daily Holidays that fall on June 18, include:
- Go Fishing Day
- International Panic Day
- International Picnic Day
- International Sushi Day
- National Cheesemaker's Day
- National Cherry Tart Day
- National Hollerin' Contest Day - June 18, 2016 (Third Saturday in June)
- National Splurge Day
- Polar Bear Swim - June 18, 2016 (Nome, AK)
- World Juggling Day - June 18, 2016 (Saturday closest to the 15th)
2016 Weekly Holidays that include June 18, are:
- National Flag Week - June 12-18, 2016 (The Week that starts with June 9th, so it includes June 14th - Flag Day)
- National Hermit Week - June 13-20
- National Men's Health Week - June 12-19, 2016 (Week ending with Father's Day)
- National Nursing Assistants Week - June 12-18, 2016
- Ramadan - Evening of June 18, 2016 - Evening of July 7, 2016 (Dates may vary depending on location) - (Muslim Holiday)
- Worldwide Knit (and Crotchet) in Public Week - June 11-19, 2016
2016 Monthly Holidays that include June 18, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our June Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of June.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- US Open Golf Championship - June 13-19, 2016
The Astrological Sign for June 18 is Gemini.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month of June are:
- The Rose which is the most popular flower in the world, symbolizes love and appreciation!
- Honesuckle which signifies a strong symbol for the everlasting bonds of love.
The Birthstone(s) for June is:
- Pearls which have been popular in jewelry for centuries because of their natural beauty.
- Alexandrite gemstones are extremely rate and change color based on the lighting
- 1942 - Roger Ebert, American Film critic, journalist and screenwriter (d. 2013)
- 1942 - Paul McCartner, Engish musician, songwriter and member of The Beatles
- 1952 - Isabella Rossellini, Italian model and actress (Blue Velvet)
- 1966 - Kurt Browning, Canadian figure skater
- 1976 - Blake Shelton, American country music singer, judge of The Voice
- 1986 - Frances Scott Fitzgerald, American Journalist and author, daughter of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre (b. 1921)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1953 - Civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. marries singer and fellow activist Coretta Scott
- 1965 - Actress and singer Rita Morena marries cardiologist Leonard Gordon
- 2011 - Charles Spencer, the brother of Princess Diana marries Canadian Karen Gordon
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Info. to come!
This Day in History
- 1429 - Joan of Arc leads French forces in a defeat of the main English Army led by Sir John Fastolf at the Battle of Patay.
- 1767 - Samuel Wallis, and English sea captain is considered the first European to reach Tahiti
- 1778 - British troops abandon Philadelphia, Pennsylvania during the American Revolutionary War
- 1812 - The War of 1812 begins as the U.S. Congress declares war against Britain, Canada, and Ireland
- 1815 - During the Battle of Waterloo, Napeoleon Bonaparte is defeated by British forces led by the Duke of Wellington
- 1873 - Susan B. Anthony is fined $100 for trying to vote for President in the 1872 presidential election
- 1892 - Macadamia nuts are planted in Hawaii for the first time
- 1928 - American aviator Amelia Earhart becomes the 1st woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean (as a passenger)
- 1953 - A USAF C-124 crashes near Tokyo killing 129 servicemen
- 1972 - A BEA Trident crashes two minutes after take off from London's Heathrow Airport killing 118
- 1981 - The first aircraft designed around stealth technology, the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk makes its first flight
- 1983 - Astronaut Sally Ride becomes the first American Woman in Space on the STS-7
- 1996 - The suspected Unabomber, serial murderer and domestic terrorist, Ted Kaczynski is indicted on ten criminal counts
This Day in Music
- 1967 - The last day of the 3 day Monterey International Pop Festival in California
- 1976 - OLE ELO by Electric Light Orchestra is certified Gold
- 1977 - Dreams by Fleetwood Mac hits #1 on the billboard singles chart
- 1976 - ABBA performs for Sweden's King, the night before his wedding
- 1984 - Rhinestone, the Dolly Parton movie is released
Happy Birthday to Paul McCartney!
This Day in Sports
- 1898 - Fred Herd shoots a 328 to win the 4th U.S. Golf Open
- 1906 - British Isles beats USA in Wimbledon (5-0) in the 6th Davis Cup
- 1927 - Paavo Nurmi who is nicknamed the "Flying Finn" runs the world record 2000 m. 5:24.6
- 1938 - Baseball legend Babe Ruth is signed as a Dodgers coach
- 1941 - Boxer Joe Louis KO's Billy Conn in 13 for the World Heavyweight boxing title
- 1960 - Arnold Palmer shoots 280 to win the 60th US Golf Open
- 1967 - Jack Nicklaus shoots 274 to win the 67th US Golf Open
- 1972 - Jack Nicklaus shoots 290 to win the 72nd US Golf Open
- 1986 - Don Sutton becomes the 19th pitcher to win 300 games
- 2000 - Tiger Woods shoots 272 to win the 100th US Golf Open
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. An artistic technique developed during the Renaissance, referring to the use of exaggerated light contrasts in order to create the illusion of volume.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!