Holidays and Observances
2018 Daily Holidays that fall on March 1, include:
- Asiatic Fleet Memorial Day
- Beer Day (in Iceland)
- Endometriosis Awareness Day
- International Women of Color Day
- National Black Women in Jazz and the Arts Day
- National Fruit Compote Day
- National Horse Protection Day
- National Peanut Butter Lover's Day
- National Pig Day
- Nuclear Free and Independent Pacific Day (Bikini Day)
- Plan a Solo Vacation Day
- Refired, Not Retired Day
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Share a Smile Day
- St. David's Day
- World Book Day - March 1, 2018 - First Thursday in March (Primarily in United Kingdom and Ireland - most other Countries observe this day on April 23rd)
- World Civil Defence Day
- World Compliment Day
- Zero Discrimination Day
2018 Weekly Holidays that include March 1, are:
- Lent - Begins on Ash Wednesday - February 14, 2018 - March 29, 2018
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is April 1, 2018)
- National Aplastic Anemia & MDS Awareness Week - March 1-6
- National Cheerleading Week - March 1-7
- National Eating Disorders Awareness Week - February 26 - March 4, 2018
- National Ghostwriters Week - March 1-7
- National Invasive Species Awareness Week - February 26, 2018 - March 2, 2018
- National Justice for Animals Week - February 25 - March 3, 2018
- National Pet Sitters Week - March 1-7
- National Write a Letter of Appreciation Week - March 1-7
- Orthodox Lent - February 19 - April 7, 2018
- Purim - Evening of February 28, 2018 to the Evening of March 1, 2018
- Read Across America Week - February 26 - March 2, 2018 (M-F week of Dr. Seuss Birthday on March 2)
- Telecommuter Appreciation Week - February 25 - March 3, 2018
- Universal Human Beings Week - March 1-7
- Will Eisner Week - March 1-7
2018 Monthly Holidays that include March 1, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our March Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of March.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Chinese New Year Festival and Parade - February 10, 2018 - March 4, 2018 (San Francisco, CA)
- Hong Kong Arts Festival - February 23, 2018 - March 24, 2018 features Art, Theatre, Dance, Opera, and Music events.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - February 27 - March 18, 2018 (Houston, TX)
The Astrological Sign for March 1 is Pisces.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for March are:
- The Jonquil, better known as Daffodil or Narcissus
- The meaning of the Daffodil is friendship and domestic happiness
The Birthstone(s) for March is the aquamarine and the bloodstone.
- 1904 – Glenn Miller, American bandleader (d. 1944)
- 1910 – David Niven, English actor (d. 1983)
- 1935 – Robert Conrad, American actor (Wild Wild West, Baa Baa Black Sheep)
- 1945 – Dirk Benedict, American actor (A-Team, Battlestar Galactica)
- 1947 – Alan Thicke, Canadian actor and songwriter
- 1954 – Catherine Bach, American actress (Dukes of Hazzard)
- 1954 – Ron Howard, American actor and director (Happy Days)
- 1956 – Tim Daly, American actor (Wings, Private Practice)
- 1967 – George Eads, American actor (CSI Crime Scene)
- 1969 – Javier Bardem, Spanish actor (Skyfall)
- 1984 - Jackie Coogan, actor (Uncle Fester on the Addams Family)
- 1988 - Joe Besser, comedian (3's Stooges, Abbott & Costello)
- 2006 – Johnny Jackson, American musician (The Jackson 5) (b. 1951)
- 2013 - Bonnie Franklin, American Actress (One Day at a Time) (b. 1944)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1968 : Johnny Cash marries June Carter of the gospel stars The Carter Family
- 1989 - Julianne Philips & Bruce Springsteen divorce
Quote of the Day
To this day, I still remember the "I Dare You to Knock It Off" line from the Eveready Battery Commercial that Robert Conrad, who was born on this day in 1935, did. Loved all of his shows!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Recipe of the Day for March 1 is a Simple Ham and Cabbage Pasta Recipe from Kerry, of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1565 – The city of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil is founded.
- 1692 - Salem Witch Trials Start in Salem Village, Massachusetts
- 1781 – The Continental Congress adopts the Articles of Confederation
- 1790 – The first United States census is authorized
- 1803 – Ohio is admitted as the 17th U.S. State
- 1845 – U.S. President John Tyler signs a bill authorizing the United States to annex the Republic of Texas
- 1867 – Nebraska becomes the 37th U.S. State
- 1867 - Lancaster, Nebraska is renamed Lincoln and becomes the State Capital
- 1872 – Yellowstone National Park is established as the world's first National park
- 1901 – The Australian Army was formed.
- 1932 – The son of Charles Lindbergh, Charles Augustus Lindbergh III, is kidnapped.
- 1936 – The Hoover Dam is completed on the Colorado River between Arizona and Nevada
- 1953 – Joseph Stalin (leader of the Soviet Union) suffers a stroke and collapses and dies four days later
- 1961 – President of the United States John F. Kennedy establishes the Peace Corps
- 1974 – Seven are indicted for their role in the Watergate break in and charged with conspiracy to obstruct justice
- 1978 - Charlie Chaplin's coffin was stolen from a Swiss cemetery
- 1995 – Yahoo is incorporated
- 1998 – The Movie Titanic became the first film to gross over $1 billion worldwide.
This Day in Music
- 1958 - Johnny Mathis, Album Johnny's Greatest Hits is released
- 1965 - Petula Clark's Downtown is certified gold
- 1975 - The Eagles' Best Of My Love hits #1
- 1975 - Olivia Newton-John won Record Of The
Year for 'I Honestly Love You' at the Grammy Awards
- 1975 - Bob Dylan's Album Blood On The Tracks hits #1
- 1977 - Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Blinded By The Light is certified gold
- 1986 - The Rolling Stones, Album Dirty Work is released
- 1994 -
Nirvana played their last concert in Munich, Germany
This Day in Sports
- 1973 - Robyn Smith becomes 1st female jockey to win a major race
- 1983 - Tamara McKinney becomes 1st US woman skier to win the World Cup
- 1988 - Wayne Gretzky passes Gordie Howe with his record 1,050th NHL assist
- 1993 - New expansion NHL team, owned by Disney, is named the Mighty Ducks
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
fons honorum (noun)
1. A person who, by virtue of sovereignty, holds the exclusive right to
create and confer legitimate titles of nobility and orders of chivalry.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!