Holidays and Observances
2016 Daily Holidays that fall on March 20, include:
- Bed in for Peace Day
- Bock Beer Day
- Extraterrestrial Abductions Day
- First Day of Spring
- Great American MEAT-OUT
- International Astrology Day - March 20, 2016
- International Day of Happiness
- International Earth Day - March 20, 2016 (Same day as Spring Equinox, and different than Earth Day observed on April 22 each year)
- Kiss Your Fiance Day
- March Equinox (First Day of Spring) - March 20, 2016 (movable date)
- National Jump Out Day
- National Native American HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- National Ravioli Day
- Ostara (Spring Equinox) - March 20, 2016
- Palm Sunday - March 20, 2016 (The Sunday one week prior to Easter)
- Proposal Day
- Snowman Burning Day
- Spring Equinox - March 20, 2016
- Won't You Be My Neighbor Day
- World Frog Day
- World Sparrow Day
- World Storytelling Day
2016 Weekly Holidays that include March 20, are:
- American Chocolate Week - March 20-26, 2016 (Third Full Week of March)
- Brain Awareness Week - March 14-20, 2016
- Health Information Professionals Week - March 20-26, 2016
- International Brain Awareness Week - March 14-20, 2016
- International Phace Syndrome Awareness Week - March 20-27, 2016 (Last Week in March)
- Lent - Begins on Ash Wednesday - February 10, 2016 - March 24, 2016
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is March 27, 2016)
- National Animal Poison Prevention Week - March 20-26, 2016 (Third Full Week of March)
- National Button Week - March 20-26, 2016 (Third Full Week in March)
- National Inhalants and Poisons Awareness Week - March 20-26, 2016 (Third Week of March)
- National Poison Prevention Week - March 20-26, 2016 (Third Full Week of March)
- Orthodox Lent - March 14 - April 22, 2016
- Passiontide - March 13 - 26, 2016 (The Last Two Weeks of Lent - Passion Week and Holy Week)
- Sherlock Holmes Weekend - March 18-20, 2016
- World Folktales & Fables Week - March 20-26, 2016
2016 Monthly Holidays that include March 20, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our March Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of March.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Hong Kong Arts Festival - February 19, 2016 - March 20, 2016 features Art, Theatre, Dance, Opera, and Music events.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - March 1-20, 2016 (Houston, TX)
- Iditarod Race - Starts March 5, 2016 - Awards Banquet on March 20, 2016 - A Dogsled Race on the Iditarod Trail in Alaska running 1,000 miles from Anchorage to Nome.
- Indiana Flower and Patio Show - March 12-20, 2016 (Indianapolis, IN)
- Ultra Music Festival - March 18-20, 2016 - World's Premier Electronic Music Festival held in Miami, Florida.
The Astrological Sign for March 20 is Pisces.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for March are:
- The Jonquil, better known as Daffodil or Narcissus
- The meaning of the Daffodil is friendship and domestic happiness
The Birthstone(s) for March is the aquamarine and the bloodstone.
- 1922 – Carl Reiner, American director, comedian (Dick Van Dyke Show)
- 1928 – Fred Rogers, American TV host of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood (d. 2003)
- 1931 – Hal Linden, American actor (Barney Miller)
- 1950 - William Hurt, Actor (Body Heat, Big Chill, Children of a Lesser God)
- 1957 – Spike Lee, American film director
- 1957 – Theresa Russell, American actress (Black Widow)
- 1958 – Holly Hunter, American actress (The Piano, The Firm)
- 1726 – Sir Isaac Newton, English physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, alchemist and theologian (b. 1642)
- 1918 - Lewis A. Grant, American Civil War General (b. 1828)
- 1931 - Hermann Müller, Chancellor of Germany (b. 1876)
- 1967 - A J F Moody, 1st US Army General to die in Vietnam
- 1991 - Conor Clapton, Eric Clapton's son, falls out of 53rd floor window at 5
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1969 - John Lennon (The Beatles) marries Yoko Ono
- 1984 - Slim Jim Phantom of The Stray Cats marries actress Britt Ekland
- 1999 -Actress Annette O' Toole weds Actor Michael McKean
Quote of the Day
Fred Rogers, created and hosted the children's show, Mister Roger's Neighborhood ran from 1966 to 2001.
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habits Tip of the Day for March 20, (The First Day of Spring), is a bunch of Spring Weight Loss Tips, from Kerry, of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1602 – The Dutch East India Company is established and is the first company to issue stock.
- 1616 – After 13 years of imprisonment, Sir Walter Raleigh is freed from the Tower of London
- 1760 – The "Great Fire" of Boston, Massachusetts, destroys 349 buildings
- 1815 - Napoleon enters Paris after escape from Elba, and begins a 100 day rule
- 1816 - US Supreme Court affirms its right to review state court decisions
- 1852 – Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe is published
- 1854 – The Republican Party of the US is organized in Ripon, Wisconsin
- 1886 - 1st AC power plant in the US begins commercial operation, in Great Barrington, Massachusetts
- 1916 – Albert Einstein publishes his General Theory of Relativity
- 1944 - Mount Vesuvius, Italy explodes
- 1952 – The United States Senate ratifies a peace treaty with Japan
- 1954 - 1st newspaper vending machine used in Columbia Pennsylvania
- 1969 - US President Nixon proclaims he will end the Vietnam war in 1970
- 1976 - Patricia Hearst convicted of armed robbery
- 1987 - FDA approves the sale of AZT for AIDS treatment
- 1995 - Poison Gas is released in Tokyo subway 12 killed, 4,700 injured
- 1999 – Legoland California, opens in Carlsbad, California (First one outside of Europe)
This Day in Music
- 1961 - Elvis Presley's Surrender hits #1
- 1970 - Elton John's Border Song is released
- 1972 - America's A Horse With No Name hits #1
- 1982 - Joan Jett & Blackhearts' I Love Rock 'n' Roll hits #1 for 7 weeks
- 1991 - Michael Jackson signs a $65 million deal with Sony, the largest contract renewal to date
Above, is the Unplugged Version, of Tears in Heaven, by Eric Clapton, a song to honor his son Connor who fell from a 53 floor window on this day in 1991.
This Day in Sports
- 1897 - 1st known intercollegiate basketball game, Yale beats Penn 32-10
- 1914 - 1st International figure-skating tournament held in the US, in New Haven, Connecticut
- 1972 - 19 mountain climbers are killed on Japan's Mount Fuji during an avalanche
- 1985 – Libby Riddles becomes the first woman to win the 1,135-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
- 1988 - Mike Tyson KOs Tony Tubbs in 2 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1990 - LA Lakers retires Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's #33
- 1993 - Dan Jansen skates world record 500m (36.02 sec)
- 1997 - Mens Figure Skating Championship in Lausanne, is won by Elvis Stojko (CAN)
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Having or full of forethought; provident; proactive; visionary.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!