Holidays and Observances
2016 Daily Holidays that fall on March 9, include:
- Barbie Day
- Discover What Your Name Means Day - March 9, 2016 (Wednesday of First Full Week which is Celebrate Your Name Week)
- Get Over It Day
- Joe Franklin Day
- National Crabmeat Day
- National Meatball Day
- National Panic Day
- Registered Dietitian Day - March 9, 2016 (Second Wednesday in March)
2016 Weekly Holidays that include March 9, are:
- Celebrate Your Name Week - March 6-12, 2016 (First Full Week in March)
- Endometriosis Awareness Week - March 3-9, 2016
- Girl Scout Week - March 6-12, 2016 (Second Week of March)
- Lent - Begins on Ash Wednesday - February 10, 2016 - March 24, 2016
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is March 27, 2016)
- National Consumer Protection Week - March 6-12, 2016
- National Groundwater Awareness Week - March 6-12, 2016
- National Procrastination Week - March 6-12, 2016 (Second Week of March)
- National PTA Drug & Alcohol Awareness Week - March 6-12, 2016 March
- National School Breakfast Week - March 7-11, 2016 (Mon-Fri of the First Full Week in March)
- National Schools Social Work Week - March 6-12, 2016 (First Full Week of March)
- National Sleep Awareness Week - March 6-12, 2016 (Week before Daylight Savings Time)
- National Words Matter Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Newspaper in Education Week - March 7-11, 2016 (First Full School Week in March)
- No More Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Professional Pet Sitters Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Read an E-Book Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Return Borrowed Books Week - March 6-12, 2016 (First Week of March)
- Save Your Vision Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Teen Tech Week - March 6-12, 2016 (Second Week in March)
- Universal Women's Week - March 8-14
- Women in Construction Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Women of Aviation Worldwide Week - March 7-13, 2016
- World Orphan Week - March 4-11
2016 Monthly Holidays that include March 9, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our March Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of March.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Hong Kong Arts Festival - February 19, 2016 - March 20, 2016 features Art, Theatre, Dance, Opera, and Music events.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - March 1-20, 2016 (Houston, TX)
- Iditarod Race - Starts March 5, 2016 - Awards Banquet on March 20, 2016 - A Dogsled Race on the Iditarod Trail in Alaska running 1,000 miles from Anchorage to Nome.
The Astrological Sign for March 9 is Pisces.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for March are:
- The Jonquil, better known as Daffodil or Narcissus
- The meaning of the Daffodil is friendship and domestic happiness
The Birthstone(s) for March is the aquamarine and the bloodstone.
- 1964 – Juliette Binoche, French actress (The English Patient, Chocolat)
- 1986 - Brittany Snow, American actress
- 1996 – George Burns, American actor and singer (b. 1896)
- 1997 - Notorious B.I.G., Rapper is killed in a shooting (b. 1972)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1796 - French Leader Napoléon Bonaparte marries his 1st wife Joséphine de Beauharnais
Quote of the Day
George Burns who passed away on this day in 1996 was full of great quotes! The quote above, is just another reminder to quit living in the past and look forward to the future!
"LOOK TO THE FUTURE, BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE" ~ George Burns
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Recipe of the Day for March 9, is a Chicken Stir Fry with Cabbage, Broccoli Slaw, and Red and Green Peppers Recipe from Kerry, at Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1276 – Augsburg, Germany becomes an Imperial Free City
- 1842 – The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco
- 1861 - Confederate currency authorized - $50, $100, $500, $1,000
- 1864 - Ulysses S. Grant is appointed commander of Union Army
- 1933 - President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the Emergency Banking Act to Congress
- 1935 - Adolf Hitler announces the creation of a new air force
- 1942 - Construction of the Alaska Highway began
- 1945 – The Bombing of Tokyo by the US Army Air Forces began
- 1953 - Josef Stalin buried in Moscow
- 1959 – The Barbie doll debuts at the American International Toy Fair in New York, over 800 million sold
- 1964 - 1st Ford Mustang produced
- 1975 - Construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System begins
- 1976 - 1st female cadets accepted to West Point Military Academy
- 1985 - Ladies Figure Skating Championship in Tokyo won by Katarina Witt (GDR)
- 2011 – Space Shuttle Discovery makes its final landing after 39 flights
This Day in Music
- 1972 - Carole King, James Taylor, Quincy Jones and Barbra Streisand perform at a George McGovern presidential fundraiser
- 1976 - Queen's A Night At The Opera is certified gold
- 1987 - Sam Cooke, John Lennon & Paul McCartney, Carole King are all inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame
- 2011 - Phil Collins retires so he can be a full time Father to his two young sons.
Queen's You're My Best Friend, was one of their songs on their A Night At The Opera album that was certified gold on this day in 1976.
This Day in Sports
- 1936 - Babe Ruth turns down Reds to make a comeback as a player
- 1947 - US Men's Figure Skating championship won by Richard Button
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Of a situation or outcome that benefits two parties, or that has two distinct benefits.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!