Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on May 1, include:
- Batman Day
- Global Love Day
- International Worker's Day
- Law Day
- Lei Day - (U.S. State of Hawaii)
- Loyalty Day
- May Day
- Melanoma Monday - May 1, 2017 (First Monday in May)
- National Chocolate Parfait Day
- National Purebred Dog Day
- Save the Rhino Day
- Silver Star Service Banner Day
2017 Weekly Holidays that include May 1, are:
- Choose Privacy Week - May 1-7
- National Children's Book Week - May 1-7, 2017
- National Library Legislative Day - May 1-2, 2017
- National Physical Education and Sports Week - May 1-7 (First Week in May)
- National Safety Stand Down Week - May 1-5, 2017
- National Small Business Week - April 30 - May 6, 2017
- National Wildflower Week - May 1-7, 2017
- PTA Teacher Appreciation Week - May 1-5, 2017 (First Full Week in May)
- Screen-Free Week (Formerly TV Turnoff Week) - May 1-7, 2017
- Teacher Appreciation Week - May 1-5, 2017 (First Full Week in May)
- Yom HaAtzmaut - Evening of May 1, 2017 - Evening of May 2, 2017
- Yom HaZikaron - Evening of April 30, 2017 to Evening of May 1, 2017
2017 Monthly Holidays that include May 1, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for May 1 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1864 - Anna Jarvis, American founder of Mother's Day (d. 1948)
- 1907 - Kate Smith, American singer (d. 1986)
- 1916 - Glen Ford, Canadian-American actor (d. 2006)
- 1923 - Joseph Heller, American author and playwright (Catch 22) (d. 1999)
- 1924 - Art Fleming, American actor and game show host (Jeopardy) (d. 1995)
- 1945 - Rita Coolidge, American country singer
- 1967 - Tim McGraw, American country singer, songwriter, and actor
- 1987 - Emilia Clarke, English actress (Games of Thrones)
- 1731 - Johann Ludwig Bach, German composer and violinist (b. 1677)
- 1965 - Spike Jones, American singer and bandleader (b. 1911)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1967 - Elvis Presley marries actress Priscilla Beaulieu in Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1991 - Robert Duvall, American actor marries Sharon Brophy
- 1978 - Bianca Jagger files for divorce from Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones
- 1999 - Emily Erwin, singer of the Dixie Chicks marries Charlie Robinson, singer and songwriter
- 2009 - Amanda Beard, Olympic swimmer gold medalist, marries photographer Sacha Brown
Quote of the Day
May 1st is GLOBAL LOVE DAY! I have their Logo above, so this seemed like an appropriate quote to go along with the day.
This is a quote from the Global Love Day website:
"We hope that by practicing love in all areas of your life, you will find it easy to love unconditionally all year long. Our main theme explains it best..."Love Begins With Me"
Be a part of it. Spread the word. Share your love."
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Until you learn the Lifestyle Solution of estimating portions, rather than counting calories, weight control will be difficult.
For the Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day for May 1, here are some Portion Shockers statistics from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1776 - The Illuminati, a secret society is founded in Ingolstadt (Upper Bavaria) by Adam Weishaupt
- 1840 - The first official adhesive postage stamp, the Penny Black is issued in the United Kingdom
- 1884 - A Proclamation of the demand for an eight hour workday in the United States
- 1886 - Rallies are held throughout the U.S. demanding an eight hour work day
- 1898 - The U.S. Navy destroys the Spanish Pacific fleet in the first battle of the Spanish-American War
- 1915 - The RMS Lusitania is torpedoed off the coast of Ireland and 1,198 lives are lost. This was to be her final crossing of the North Atlantic
- 1925 - The All-China Federation of Trade Unions is founded
- 1930 - The planet "Pluto" is named
- 1931 - The Empire State Building is dedicated in New York City
- 1950 - Guam is organized as a U.S. Commonwealth
- 1956 - Jonas Salk's polio vaccine is made available to the public
- 1961 - Fidel Castro, the Prime Minister of Cuba, proclaims Cuba a socialist nation and abolishes elections
- 1971 - Amtrak takes over operation of passenger rail service in the U.S.
- 1989 - The Disney-MGM Studios opens at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida
This Day in Music
- 1786 - Mozart's opera The Marriage of Figaro, is performed for the first time in Vienna, Austria
- 1956 - Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley hits #1
- 1965 - Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter by Herman's Hermits' hits #1
- 1970 - Diana Ross leaves The Supremes to launch her solo career
- 1976 - Let Your Love Flow from The Bellamy Brothers hits #1
- 1976 - Led Zeppelin's Album Present hits #1 on the album charts
- 1991 - LL Cool J becomes the 1st rapper to appear on MTV Unplugged
- 2001 - Huey Lewis and the News release their Plan B album
Above is the Bellamy Brother's song, Let Your Love Flow which hit #1 on March 12, 1976
This Day in Sports
- 1940 - The 1940 Summer Olympics are cancelled due to war.
- 1991 - Rickey Henderson of the Oakland Athletics steals his 939th base, making him the all time leader of stolen bases.
- 1978 - Naomi Uemura, of Japan becomes the first person to reach the North Pol alone travelling by dog sled
- 1999 - 75 years after his disappearance in 1924, the body of British climber George Mallory is discovered on Mount Everest
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
May-Day Sweep (noun)
1. One of the brightly clad chimney sweeps, carrying garlands and a blackened broom, who participated in May Day parades.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!