Holidays and Observances
2021 Daily Holidays that fall on May 1, include:
- Batman Day
- Bladder Cancer Awareness Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Bombshell's Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Childhood Stroke Awareness Day - May 1, 2021
- Couple Appreciation Day
- CSS Reboot Day
- Executive Coaching Day
- Free Comic Book Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Frequent Flyer Day
- Global Love Day
- International Doodle Dog Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- International Drone Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- International Sunflower Guerilla Gardening Day
- International Worker's Day
- Join Hands Day: Youth and Adults Volunteering Together - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Keep Kids Alive Drive 25 Day
- Kentucky Derby - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Law Day
- Learn to Ride a Bike Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Lei Day - (U.S. State of Hawaii)
- Loyalty Day
- Mariachi Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- May Day
- Mother Goose Day
- National Auctioneers Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- National Chocolate Parfait Day
- National Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday of May)
- National Fitness Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- National Herb Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May) and also April 24, 2021
- National Homebrew Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- National Play Outside Day - May 1, 2021 - (First Saturday in EVERY Month)
- National Purebred Dog Day
- National Scrapbooking Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- National Wildfire Community Preparedness Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- New Homeowners Day
- Orthodox Holy Saturday - May 1, 2021
- Phone in Sick Day
- Pilates Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Save the Rhino Day
- School Principals' Day
- Silver Star Service Banner Day
- Start Seeing Monarchs Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Therapeutic Massage Awareness Day
- World Beer Pong Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- World Naked Gardening Day - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May)
- Worthy Wage Day
2021 Weekly Holidays that include May 1, are:
- Bedbug Awareness Week - April 25 - May 1, 2021
- Canadian Immunization Awareness Week - April 24 - May 1, 2021 (Last Week in April)
- Choose Privacy Week - May 1-7
- Go Diaper Free Week - April 25 - May 1, 2021 (7 Days Starting the Last Sunday in April)
- International Wildlife Film Week - April 17 - May 15, 2021
- Medical Laboratory Professionals Week - April 24 - May 1, 2021 (Third Full Week of April)
- National Auctioneers Week - April 26 - May 1, 2021 (Observed the week ending with National Auctioneers Day)
- National Infant Immunization Week - April 25 - May 1, 2021 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Physical Education and Sports Week - May 1-7 (First Week in May)
- Orthodox Lent - March 15 - May 1, 2021
- Preservation Week - April 25 - May 1, 2021
- Ramadan - Evening of April 12, 2021 - Evening of May 11, 2021
- Stewardship Week - April 25 - May 2, 2021 (Last Sunday in April to First Sunday in May)
2021 Monthly Holidays that include May 1, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
Global Love Day Website
World Festivals and Events
- Festival of Ridvan - April 20 - May 1, 2021
- Kentucky Derby - May 1, 2021 (First Saturday in May) at Churchill Downs Racetrack in Louisville, Kentucky
The Astrological Sign for May 1 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1864 - Anna Jarvis, American founder of Mother's Day (d. 1948)
- 1907 - Kate Smith, American singer (d. 1986)
- 1916 - Glen Ford, Canadian-American actor (d. 2006)
- 1923 - Joseph Heller, American author and playwright (Catch 22) (d. 1999)
- 1924 - Art Fleming, American actor and game show host (Jeopardy) (d. 1995)
- 1945 - Rita Coolidge, American country singer
- 1967 - Tim McGraw, American country singer, songwriter, and actor
- 1987 - Emilia Clarke, English actress (Games of Thrones)
- 1731 - Johann Ludwig Bach, German composer and violinist (b. 1677)
- 1965 - Spike Jones, American singer and bandleader (b. 1911)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1967 - Elvis Presley marries actress Priscilla Beaulieu in Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1991 - Robert Duvall, American actor marries Sharon Brophy
- 1978 - Bianca Jagger files for divorce from Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones
- 1999 - Emily Erwin, singer of the Dixie Chicks marries Charlie Robinson, singer and songwriter
- 2009 - Amanda Beard, Olympic swimmer gold medalist, marries photographer Sacha Brown
Quote of the Day
May 1st is GLOBAL LOVE DAY! I have their Logo above, so this seemed like an appropriate quote to go along with the day.
This is a quote from the Global Love Day website:
"We hope that by practicing love in all areas of your life, you will find it easy to love unconditionally all year long. Our main theme explains it best..."Love Begins With Me"
Be a part of it. Spread the word. Share your love."
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Until you learn the Lifestyle Solution of estimating portions, rather than counting calories, weight control will be difficult.
For the Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day for May 1, here are some Portion Shockers statistics from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1776 - The Illuminati, a secret society is founded in Ingolstadt (Upper Bavaria) by Adam Weishaupt
- 1840 - The first official adhesive postage stamp, the Penny Black is issued in the United Kingdom
- 1884 - A Proclamation of the demand for an eight hour workday in the United States
- 1886 - Rallies are held throughout the U.S. demanding an eight hour work day
- 1898 - The U.S. Navy destroys the Spanish Pacific fleet in the first battle of the Spanish-American War
- 1915 - The RMS Lusitania is torpedoed off the coast of Ireland and 1,198 lives are lost. This was to be her final crossing of the North Atlantic
- 1925 - The All-China Federation of Trade Unions is founded
- 1930 - The planet "Pluto" is named
- 1931 - The Empire State Building is dedicated in New York City
- 1950 - Guam is organized as a U.S. Commonwealth
- 1956 - Jonas Salk's polio vaccine is made available to the public
- 1961 - Fidel Castro, the Prime Minister of Cuba, proclaims Cuba a socialist nation and abolishes elections
- 1971 - Amtrak takes over operation of passenger rail service in the U.S.
- 1989 - The Disney-MGM Studios opens at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida
This Day in Music
- 1786 - Mozart's opera The Marriage of Figaro, is performed for the first time in Vienna, Austria
- 1956 - Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley hits #1
- 1965 - Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter by Herman's Hermits' hits #1
- 1970 - Diana Ross leaves The Supremes to launch her solo career
- 1976 - Let Your Love Flow from The Bellamy Brothers hits #1
- 1976 - Led Zeppelin's Album Present hits #1 on the album charts
- 1991 - LL Cool J becomes the 1st rapper to appear on MTV Unplugged
- 2001 - Huey Lewis and the News release their Plan B album
Above is the Bellamy Brother's song, Let Your Love Flow which hit #1 on March 12, 1976
This Day in Sports
- 1940 - The 1940 Summer Olympics are cancelled due to war.
- 1991 - Rickey Henderson of the Oakland Athletics steals his 939th base, making him the all time leader of stolen bases.
- 1978 - Naomi Uemura, of Japan becomes the first person to reach the North Pol alone travelling by dog sled
- 1999 - 75 years after his disappearance in 1924, the body of British climber George Mallory is discovered on Mount Everest
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
May-Day Sweep (noun)
1. One of the brightly clad chimney sweeps, carrying garlands and a blackened broom, who participated in May Day parades.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!
Like this Page?
Like this Site?