Holidays and Observances
2022 Daily Holidays that fall on May 12, include:
- Free Cone Day (Haagen-Dazs) - Postponed due to Covid
- International Awareness Day
- International Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Awareness Day
- International Nurses Day
- Limerick Day
- National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day
- National Hospital Day
- National Nutty Fudge Day
- National Odometer Day
2022 Weekly Holidays that include May 12, are:
- Economic Development Week - May 9-13, 2022
- Food Allergy Awareness Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Charter Schools Week - May 8-14, 2022
- National Etiquette Week - May 9-13, 2022 (Begins Second Monday of Full Week in May)
- National Hospital Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Second week in May)
- National Nurses Week - May 6-12
- National Nursing Home Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Starts on Mother's Day to Following Saturday)
- National Prevention Week - May 8-14, 2022
- National Public Gardens Week - May 6-15, 2022 (Friday before to the Sunday after Mother's Day)
- National Return to Work Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Salvation Army Week - May 10-16, 2022
- National Stuttering Awareness Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Women's Health Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Week Starting With Mother's Day)
- Peripheral Neuropathy Awareness Week - May 8-15, 2022
- Prepare Tomorrow's Parents Month - May 8 - June 19, 2022 (Mother's Day to Father's Day)
- Reading is Fun Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Second Full Week in May)
- Salute to Moms 35+ Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Starts on Mother's Day)
- Salvation Army Week - May 8-14, 2022 (Second Week in May)
- The Biggest Week in American Birding - May 6-15, 2022
- Universal Family Week - May 10-16
- Work at Home Mom's Week - May 8-14, 2022
- World Cocktail Week - May 6-13
2022 Monthly Holidays that include May 12, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- National Morel Mushroom Festival - May 12-15, 2022 (Weekend after Mother's Day)
The Astrological Sign for May 12 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1820 - Florence Nightingale, Italian-English nurse during the Crimean War, known as the "Lady with the Lamp" because she made rounds at night
- 1907 - Katharine Hepburn, American actress and singer (On Golden Pond, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner)
- 1918 - Mary Kay Ash, American businesswoman who founded Mary Kay Cosmetics (d. 2001)
- 1925 - Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, American baseball player and manager (New York Yankees, Mets)
- 1928 - Burt Bacharach, American pianist, composer, and producer (I'll Never Fall in Love Again)
- 1937 - George Carlin, American comedian, actor, and author (d. 2008)
- 1948 - Steve Winwood, English singer, songwriter, and guitarist (A Higher Love) (Traffic)
- 1950 - Bruce Boxleitner, American actor and author (Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Babylon 5, Tron movies)
- 1950 - Gabriel Byrne, Irish actor, director, producer, and screenwriter
- 1955 - Kix Brooks, American country singer, songwriter (Brooks & Dunn)
- 1959 - Ving Rhames - American actor (Mission Impossible movies)
- 1962 - Emilio Estevez, American actor, director, and screenwriter (Mighty Ducks, Young Guns)
- 1966 - Stephen Baldwin, American actor, director, and producer (Usual Suspects)
- 1968 - Tony Hawk - American skateboarder
- 1864 - James Ewell Brown "J.E.B." Stuart - American General during the Civil War (b. 1833)
- 1992 - Robert Reed, American actor, singer, and director (The Brady Bunch) (b. 1932)
- 2001 - Perry Como - American singer and actor (b. 1912)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1959 - Actress Elizabeth Taylor marries her 4th husband entertainer Eddie Fisher. They get divorced in 1964.
- 1971 - Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones marries actress and model Bianca Perez-Mora Macia
Quote of the Day
Florence Nightingale, was born on this day, May 12 in 1820. Today is INTERNATIONAL NURSES DAY, and it is NATIONAL NURSES WEEK, so a quote from Florence Nightingale's Nursing Prayer seemed appropriate.
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
National Women's Health Week is May 10-16, 2020. The Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day for March 12th from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits is to look at the top Diet Mistakes that women make.
Women's Diet Mistakes bring them down, but there are a few really biggies in the struggle for weight control! Find out more....
This Day in History
- 1780 - During the American Revolution War, the British troops occupy Charleston, South Carolina
- 1862 - U.S. Federal troops occupy Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- 1921 - National Hospital Day is 1st observed
- 1926 - The Italian build airship Norge is the 1st vessel to fly over the North Pole
- 1928 - Benito Mussolini ends women's rights in Italy
- 1932 - The body of kidnapped son of Charles Lindbergh is found dead in Hopewell, New Jersey, ten weeks after his abduction
- 1933 - The Agricultural Adjustment Act is formed to restrict agricultural production by paying farmers subsidies
- 1935 - The 1st meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous in Akron, Ohio organized by the founders Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith
- 1937 - The Duke and Duchess of York are crowned as King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- 1942 - 1,500 Jews are sent to the gas chambers in Auschwitz concentration camp
- 1942 - German U-Boat U-507 torpedo's and sinks U.S. tanker Virginia, at the mouth of the Mississippi River
- 1949 - The Soviet Union lifts its blockage of Berlin
- 1958 - The U.S. and Canada sign a formal North American Aerospace Defense Command agreement
- 1965 - Luna 5, a Soviet spacecraft crashes on the Moon
- 2008 - Sichuan, China has a 8.0 magnitude earthquake that kills over 69,000 people
- 2015 - 8 people are killed and more than 200 injured when a train derails in Philadelphia
This Day in Music
- 1958 - All I Have to Do is Dream by the Everly Brothers hits #1 and stays on top for 5 weeks
- 1965 - The Rolling Stones records Satisfaction
- 1972 - Mary Had a Little Lamb is released by paul McCartney & Wings
- 1973 - Houses of the Holy, by Led Zeppelin is the #1 album
Happy Birthday, Steve Winwood!
This Day in Sports
- 1875 - The 1st recorded shutout in pro baseball between Chicago (1), and St. Louis (0)
- 1970 - Ernie Banks of the Chicago Cubs hits his 500th home run
- 1982 - The US Football League is formed
- 1984 - Joe Lucius scored his 13th hole-in-one on the same hole
- 1997 - Australian Susie Maroney is the 1st to swim from Cuba to Florida
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Breakfast eaten at work, particularly while sitting at a desk.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!
Like this Page?
Like this Site?