Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on May 14, include:
- Mother's Day - May 14, 2017 (Second Sunday in May)
- National Buttermilk Biscuit Day
- National Chicken Dance Day
- The Stars and Stripes Forever Day
- Underground America Day
2017 Weekly Holidays that include May 14, are:
- Armed Forces Week - May 13-21, 2017 (Second Saturday through Third Sunday in May)
- Lag B'omer - Evening of May 13, 2017 to Evening of May 14, 2017
- Medical Transcriptionist Week - May 14-20, 2017 (Third Week in May)
- National Nursing Home Week - May 14-21, 2017 (Starts on Mother's Day to Following Saturday)
- National Police Week - May 14-20, 2017 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Return to Work Week - May 14-20, 2017
- National Stuttering Awareness Week - May 8-14, 2017 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Transportation Week - May 14-20, 2017 (Always has Third Friday in May)
- Neuropathy Awareness Week - May 14-20, 2017
- Puppy Mill Action Week - May 8-14, 2017 (Begins the Monday before Mother's Day)
- Reading is Fun Week - May 14-20, 2017 (Second Full Week in May)
- Salute to Moms 35+ Week - May 14-20, 2017 (Starts on Mother's Day)
- Universal Family Week - May 10-16
- Work at Home Mom's Week - May 14-20, 2017
- World Migratory Bird Day - May 13-14, 2017 (Second Weekend in May)
2017 Monthly Holidays that include May 14, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for May 14 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1936 - Bobby Darin, American singer, songwriter, and actor (d. 1973)
- 1944 - George Lucas, American director, producer, and screenwriter who founded Lucasfilm (Star Wars, Indiana Jones)
- 1961 - Tim Roth, English actor and director
- 1964 - James M. Kelly, American colonel, pilot and astronaut
- 1969 - Cate Blanchett, Australian actress (Lord of the Rings)
- 1919 - Henry J. Heinz, American businessman who founded the H. J. Heinz Company (b. 1844)
- 1987 - Rita Hayworth, American actress and dancer (b. 1918)
- 1993 - William Randolph Hearst, Jr. American journalist (b. 1908)
- 1998 - Frank Sinatra, American singer and actor (b. 1915)
- 2003 - Robert Stack, American actor (The Untouchables, Unsolved Mysteries) (b. 1919)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1962 - Princess Sophia of Greece marries Don Juan Carlos of Spain
- 1996 - Actor Antonio Banderas marries actress Melanie Griffith in London
- 2011 - Country singer Blake Shelton marries country singer Miranda Lambert
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
National Women's Health Week is May 7-13, 2017. The Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day for May 14, is information from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits on Food Cravings.
Cravings are a physiological, and emotionally intense urge to eat a certain type of food. They are different for all of us, with different root causes, but we can all agree that they are very powerful, and have brought down many a dieter! Find out more.....
This Day in History
- 1607 - Jamestown, Virginia is settled as the 1st permanent English settlement
- 1610 - Henry IV of France is assassinated and Louis XIII takes the throne
- 1796 - Edward Jenner administers the first smallpox vaccination
- 1804 - The Lewis & Clark Expedition set out from St. Louis and travel up the Missouri River and on to the Pacific Coast
- 1889 - The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) is launched in London.
- 1897 - The Stars and Strips Forever is first performed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Today, March 14 is The Stars and Stripes Forever Day. Above is, The United States Army Field Band and Soldier's Chorus perform John Philip Sousa's most famous march, The Stars and Stripes Forever.
- 1939 - Lina Medina, of Peru becomes the youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five
- 1942 - US Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) forms
- 1943 - A Japanese submarine sinks the Australian Hospital Ship Centaur off the coast of Queensland
- 1955 - The Warsaw Pack is signed by Eight Communist countries, Soviet Union, Albania, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary, Poland and Romania
- 1963 - Kuwait joins the United Nations as the 111th member
- 1964 - Underground America Day is observed for the first time
- 1973 - U.S. Supreme Court approves equal rights to females in the military
- 1973 - The U.S. first space station, Skylab is launched
- 1980 - The U.S. Dept of Health & Human Services begins operation
This Day in Music
- 1927 - Ain't She Sweet by Ben Bernie hits #1
- 1964 - Little Old Lady (From Pasadena), is recorded by Jan & Dean
- 1968 - People Got to Be Free is recorded by The Rascals
- 1970 - Ohio, by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young is released
- 1977 - When I Need You, by Leo Sayer hits #1
- 1981 - Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes hits #1
- 1983 - The Album True by Spandau Ballet hits #1 in the UK
- 1985 - Michael Jackson is presented a special Presidential Humanitarian Award at the White House by Ronald Reagan for his work against drunk driving
- 2006 - The album Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers hits #1 on the UK Album Chart
Above, is Spandau Ballet's True
Please check out our Music Holidays page!
This Day in Sports
- 1870 - The first game of rugby in New Zealand is played in Nelson
- 1967 - Mickey Mantle hits his 500th HR
- 1978 - Nancy Lopez wins LPGA Greater Baltimore Golf Classic
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Magnificent, splendid, extremely good
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!