Holidays and Observances
2018 Daily Holidays that fall on May 15, include:
- Dinosaur Day
- Hyperemisis Gravidarum Awareness Day
- International Conscientious Objector Day
- International Day of Families
- International Kangaroo Care Awareness Day
- International MPS Awareness Day
- National Chocolate Chip Day
- National Nylon Stockings Day
- Peace Officers Memorial Day
- Straw Hat Day
- TSC Global Awareness Day (Tuberous Sclerosis Complex)
2018 Weekly Holidays that include May 15, are:
- American Craft Beer Week - May 14-20, 2018
- Armed Forces Week - May 12-20, 2018 (Second Saturday through Third Sunday in May)
- Food Allergy Awareness Week - May 13-19, 2018
- Medical Transcriptionist Week - May 13-19, 2018 (Third Week in May)
- National Bike to Work Week - May 14-18, 2018 (Third Full M-F Week in May)
- National Etiquette Week - May 14-18, 2018 (Begins Second Monday of Full Week in May)
- National Nursing Home Week - May 13-20, 2018 (Starts on Mother's Day to Following Saturday)
- National Police Week - May 13-19, 2018 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Return to Work Week - May 13-19, 2018
- National Stuttering Awareness Week - May 14-20, 2018 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Transportation Week - May 13-19, 2018 (Always has Third Friday in May)
- National Vegetarian Awareness Week - May 14-20, 2018
- National Women's Health Week - May 13-19, 2018
- Ramadan - Evening of May 15, 2018 to Evening of June 14, 2018 (Dates may vary depending on location) - (Muslim Holiday)
- Reading is Fun Week - May 13-19, 2018 (Second Full Week in May)
- Salute to Moms 35+ Week - May 13-19, 2018 (Starts on Mother's Day)
- Salvation Army Week - May 13-19, 2018 (Second Week in May)
- Universal Family Week - May 10-16
- Work at Home Mom's Week - May 13-19, 2018
2018 Monthly Holidays that include May 15, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Cannes International Film Festival - May 9-20, 2018 in Cannes, France is the most prestigious and most publicized film festival in the World.
The Astrological Sign for May 15 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1895 - Prescott Bush, American banker and politician, father of George H.W. Bush (d. 1972)
- 1955 - Lee Horsley, American actor (Matt Houston, Paradise)
- 1981 - Zara Ann Elizabeth Phillips, English horse rider and daughter of Princess Anne
- 1886 - Emily Dickinson, American poet (b. 1830)
- 2003 - June Carter Cash, American singer, songwriter, actress (Carter Family, Carter Sisters) (b. 1929)
- 2007 - Jerry Falwell, American evangelist, founded Liberty University and co-founder of Moral Majority (b. 1933)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1567 - Mary, Queen of Scots marries James Hepburn, Earl of Bothwell
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habits Food Tip for May 15 is tips on Ending Food Cravings.
Ending Food Cravings can be diminished over time, by incorporating these suggested healthy diet habits and strategies from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits into your life. Find out more.....
This Day in History
- 1718 - The world's first machine gun is patented by London lawyer, James Puckle
- 1862 - The U.S. Bureau of Agriculture is created by President Abraham Lincoln. It was later renamed the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- 1869 - The National Woman Suffrage Association is formed by Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton
- 1905 - Las Vegas, Nevada is founded when 110 acres are auction off and become the downtown area
- 1911 - Citing the Sherman Antitrust Act, The U.S. Supreme Court dissolves Standard Oil for being a monopoly
- 1915 - AT&T becomes the 1st corporation to have 1 million stockholders
- 1928 - Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse makes his 1st appearance in the cartoon, Plane Crazy
- 1935 - The Moscow Metro is opened to the public
- 1940 - McDonald's opens its first restaurant in San Bernardino, CA
- 1970 - President Richard Nixon appoints the first female United States Army Generals - Anna Mae Hays and Elizabeth Hoisington
This Day in Music
- 1941 - Jewish music is prohibited by Nazi occupiers in Netherlands
- 1963 - Peter, Paul & Mary win their 1st Grammy for If I Had a Hammer
- 1975 - Fleetwood Mac plays a concert in El Paso, Texas with new band members Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks
- 1976 - Black and Blue by the Rolling Stones hits #1 Album
- 1977 - Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder hits #1
- 1982 - Ebony and Ivory, by Paul McCarney and Stevie Wonder hits #1
- 2009 - 21st Century Breakdown by Green Day is released
Above, is 21 Guns from the Green Day, 21st Century Breakdown album
Please check out our Music Holidays page!
This Day in Sports
- 1953 - The first pinewood derby was organized by Cubmaster Don Murphy of Pack 280c, in Manhattan Beach, CA
- 1919 - Brooklyn Dodgers beat the Reds 10-0, with all 10 runs scored in the 13th inning
- 1941 - Joe DiMaggio starts a 56 game hitting streak
- 1970 - South Africa is banned from participating in the Olympic Games
- 1991 - President Bush takes Queen Elizabeth to an Oakland A's vs. Baltimore Oriole game
- 2010 - Jessica Watson is the youngest person to sail, non stop and unassisted around the world solo
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Having a loud, mournful sound
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!