Holidays and Observances
2019 Daily Holidays that fall on May 18, include:
- Armed Forces Day - May 18, 2019 (Third Saturday in May)
- Day of Vesak - May 18, 2019
- Do Dah Day (Salute to Silliness) - May 18, 2019 (Third Saturday in May)
- HIV Vaccine Awareness Day
- I Love Reese's Day
- International Museum Day
- National Cheese Souffle Day
- National Learn to Swim Day - May 18, 2019 (Third Saturday of May - week before Memorial Day)
- National Museum Day
- Preakness - May 18, 2019 (Third Saturday in May)
2019 Weekly Holidays that include May 18, are:
- Armed Forces Week - May 12-18, 2019 (Week prior to Armed Forces Day, the Third Sunday in May)
- Food Allergy Awareness Week - May 12-18, 2019
- National Charter Schools Week - May 12-18, 2019
- National Foul Ball Week - May 16-21
- National Medical Transcription Week - May 12-18, 2019 (Third Week in May)
- National Nursing Home Week - May 12-18, 2019 (Starts on Mother's Day to Following Saturday)
- National Police Week - May 12-18, 2019 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Return to Work Week - May 12-18, 2019
- National Safe Boating Week - May 18-24, 2019 (Week Before Memorial Day)
- National Stuttering Awareness Week - May 13-19, 2019 (Second Full Week in May)
- National Transportation Week - May 12-18, 2019 (Always has Third Friday in May)
- National Vegetarian Awareness Week - May 13-19, 2019
- National Women's Health Week - May 12-18, 2019
- Ramadan - Evening of May 5, 2019 to Evening of June 4, 2019 (Dates may vary depending on location) - (Muslim Holiday)
- Reading is Fun Week - May 12-18, 2019 (Second Full Week in May)
- Salute to Moms 35+ Week - May 12-18, 2019 (Starts on Mother's Day)
- Salvation Army Week - May 12-18, 2019 (Second Week in May)
- Work at Home Mom's Week - May 12-18, 2019
2019 Monthly Holidays that include May 18, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- PGA Championship - May 13-19, 2019
- Cannes International Film Festival - May 15-26, 2019 in Cannes, France is the most prestigious and most publicized film festival in the World.
- National Morel Mushroom Festival - May 16-19, 2019 (Weekend after Mother's Day)
- Preakness Stakes - May 18, 2019 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, MD.
The Astrological Sign for May 18 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1912 - Perry Como, American singer and TV host (d. 2001)
- 1946 - Reggie Jackson, American baseball player and sportscaster
- 1952 - George Strait, American Country singer, songwriter, actor, and music producer
- 526 - Pope John I (b. 470)
- 1808 - Elijah Craig, American minister, educator, and inventory who invented Bourbon Whiskey (b. 1738)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 2007 - Amy Winehouse marries former video production assistant Blake Fielder-Civil in Miami, Florida
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Information will be coming shortly!
This Day in History
- 1096 - Approximately 800 Jews are massacred in Worms, Germany during the First Crusade
- 1652 - Rhode Island passes the first law in North America that makes slavery illegal
- 1756 - Great Britain declares war on France to start the Seven Years' War
- 1763 - A large part of Montreal, Canada is destroyed by Fire
- 1860 - Abraham Lincoln wins the Republican Party presidential nomination over William H. Seward
- 1953 - Jackie Cochran becomes the first woman to break the sound barrier
- 1969 - Apollo 10 is launched
- 1980 - Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington State killing 57 people, and causing $3 billion in damage.
This Day in Music
- 1963 - The Beatles start their first tour as the featured act
- 1964 - House of the Rising Sun is recorded by The Animals
- 1966 - Bus Stop is recorded by The Hollies
- 1978 - The Buddy Holly Story, starring Gary Busey in the role of Buddy Holly, is released in the U.S.
- 1991 - Out of Time by R.E.M. is the #1 Billboard Album
- 1999 - The second album, Millennium is released by The Backstreet Boys
- 2004 - Baptism is the seventh album released by Lenny Kravitz
Above, is Losing My Religion, the Grammy Award-winning song from R.E.M's 1991 album, Out of Time
This Day in Sports
- 1942 - Due to WW II, New York City ends night baseball games
- 1947 - Catcher, Warren Rosar of the A's catches his 147th game without an error
- 1956 - For a record 3rd time, Mickey Mantle hits HR's from both sides of the plate
- 1982 - Larry Herndon, outfielder for the Tigers is the 14th player to hit 4 consecutive HRs
- 1986 - David Goch finishes swimming 55,682 miles in a 25-yard pool
- 2014 - Adam Scott overtakes Tiger Woods as the Number 1 ranked golf player in the world
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (transitive) To end up; to set on end.
2. To tip or turn over.
3. To destroy, invalidate, overthrow, or defeat.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!