Holidays and Observances
2019 Daily Holidays that fall on May 2, include:
- National Day of Prayer - May 2, 2019 (First Thursday in May)
- National Day of Reason - May 2, 2019 (First Thursday in May) - Set up in 2003 by Humanists/Atheists on the same day as the National Day of Prayer for a secular alternative
- National Truffles Day
- World Password Day - May 2, 2019 (First Thursday in May)
- World Tuna Day
2019 Weekly Holidays that include May 2, are:
- Air Quality Awareness Week - April 29 - May 3, 2019
- Choose Privacy Week - May 1-7
- Global Day of Action on Military Spending - April 13 - May 9, 2019
- Holocaust Remembrance Week - April 28 - May 5, 2019 (Starts the Sunday before Yom HaShoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day, and continues through the following Sunday)
- International Coaching Week - April 29 - May 5, 2019
- National Infants Immunization Week - April 27 - May 4, 2019 (Fourth Week of April)
- National Physical Education and Sports Week - May 1-7 (First Week in May)
- National Small Business Week - April 28 - May 4, 2019
- National Toddler Immunization Week - April 26 - May 3, 2019
- Screen-Free Week (Digital Detox Week) - April 29 - May 5, 2019
- Yom HaShoah or Holocaust Remembrance Day - Evening of May 1, 2019 to Evening of May 2, 2019
2019 Monthly Holidays that include May 2, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for May 2 is Taurus.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1903 - Benjamin Spock, American pediatrician and author (Common Sense Book of Baby Care) (d. 1998)
- 1936 - Engelbert Humperdinck - English singer
- 1948 - Larry Gatlin, American Country and Gospel singer, songwriter, and actor (Larry Gatlin & the Gatlin Brothers)
- 1955 - Donatella Versace, Italian fashion designer
- 1972 - Dwayne Johnson, American-Canadian wrestler, actor, and producer (Known as The Rock)
- 2015 - Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, British royal, daughter of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge & Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge who is fourth in line to the British throne.
- 1519 - Leonardo da Vinci, Italian painter, sculptor, and architect (Mona Lisa, The Last Supper) (b. 1452)
- 1880 - Eberhard Anheuser, German-American businessman who co-founded Anheuser-Busch (b. 1805)
- 1972 - J. Edgar Hoover, American, First Director of the F.B.I. (b. 1895)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1946 - Actress Joan Fontaine (Rebecca) marries actor and producer William Dozier
Quote of the Day
Benjamin Spock was born on this day in 1903!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Info. to come!
This Day in History
- 1611 - The King James Version of the Bible is published for the first time in London, England
- 1863 - Stonewall Jackson is wounded by friendly fire during the American Civil War and he died from pneumonia eight days later
- 1964 - During the Vietnam War, an explosion sinks the USS Card while it is docked at Saigon
- 1969 - British ocean liner Queen Elizabeth 2 sets sail on her maiden vogage to New York City
- 1986 - The City of Chernobyl is evacuated six days after the nuclear disaster
- 2008 - A cyclone named Nargi kills over 138,000 people in Burma
- 2011 - Osama bin Laden of the 9/11 attacks is killed by the U.S. special forces in Pakistan
- 2012 - A New world record for a work of art at auction is set after a pastel version of The Scream, by Norwegian painter Edvard Munch sells for $120 in New York City
This Day in Music
- 1955 - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof wins Tennessee Williams a Pulitzer Prize for Drama
- 1987 - I Just Died in Your Arms from Cutting Crew hits #1 on the Hot 100
- 1995 - Pink Floyd's album The Wall goes Diamond (sales in the U.S. over 10 million)
- 2005 - Cream reunites after 36 years for the first of four shows in London
- 2010 - A flood in Nashville, Tennessee damages the Grand Ole Opry House and Country Music Hall of Fame
Above is I Just Died in Your Arms from Cutting Crew
This Day in Sports
- 1876 - The first HR in the National League is hit by Ross Barnes
- 1920 - The Negro National League baseball plays its first game in Indianapolis
- 1954 - In a doubleheader, Stan Musial hits 5 HR's
- 1970 - Diane Crump is the first woman jockey at the Kentucky Derby
- 2012 - Lionel Messi a Barcelona football player scores 68 goals to break the European goal-scoring record
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Shaped like a cucumber; having the form of a cylinder tapered and rounded at the ends, and possibly curved.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!