Holidays and Observances
2016 Daily Holidays that fall on May 23, include:
- Declaration of the Bab Day (Bahai Faith)
- International Turtle Day
- National Taffy Day
- Sea Turtle Day
- World Crohn's and Colitis Day
- World Turtle Day
2016 Weekly Holidays that include May 23, are:
- Healthy and Safe Swimming Week - May 22-28, 2016
- National Backyard Games Week - May 23-30, 2016
- National Hurricane Preparedness Week - May 22-28, 2016
- National Safe Boating Week - May 21-27, 2016
- National Tire Safety Week - May 22-28, 2016
2016 Monthly Holidays that include May 23, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for May 23 is Gemini.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1052 - King Philip I of France (d. 1108)
- 1893 - Ulysses S. Grant IV, American geologist and paleontologist (d. 1977)
- 1928 - Rosemary Clooney, American singer and actress (d. 2002)
- 1933 - Joan Collins, English actress, singer, and author (Dynasty)
- 1974 - Jewel Kilcher, American singer, songwriter, guitarist, actress, and poet
- 1868 - Kit Carson, American trapper, scout, and Indian agent (b. 1809)
- 1934 - Clyde Barrow - American outlaw (Bonnie & Clyde) who was killed in a police ambush
- 1937 - John D. Rockefeller, American businessman and philanthropist who founded the Standard Oil Company (b. 1839)
- 2002 - Sam Snead, American golfer (b. 1912)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1953 - Eunice Kennedy, sister of John F. Kennedy marries activist and attorney Sargent Shriver
- 1992 - Actress Sela Ward marries actor Howard Sherman
- 2004 - Singer Michella Branch marries musician Teddy Landau
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The month of May is NATIONAL BARBEQUE MONTH. The Healthy Diet Habits tip of the day for May 23 is tips on Summer Cooking from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits. It's not quite summer officially yet, but many of us start putting the grill to good use in Spring time depending on where we live! (link goes to Kerry's website)
This Day in History
- 1430 - Joan of Arc is captured at Compiegne and sold to the English
- 1568 - The Netherlands declare their independence from Spain
- 1701 - Captain William Kidd is hanged in London after being convicted of piracy and murdering William Moore.
- 1785 - Benjamin Franklin announces his invention of bifocals
- 1788 - South Carolina becomes the 8th state to ratify the U.S. Constitution
- 1844 - Declaration of Bab - Bahai festival
- 1873 - Canada's North West Mounted Police Force forms
- 1911 - The New York Public Library is dedicated by President Taft
- 1934 - Bonnie and Clyde, American bank robbers are ambushed by police and killed in Black Lake, Louisiana.
- 1939 - The U.S. Navy submarine USS Squalus sinks off the coast of New Hampshire, causing the death of 26
- 1990 - Cost of bailing out savings & loan failures is estimated at $130 billion
- 2013 - The Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River collapses in Mount Vernon, Washington
This Day in Music
- 1829 - Cyrill Demian of Vienna, Austria is granted a patent for the accordion
- 1964 - I Get Around by the Beach Boys is their #1 hit
- 1965 - Help Me, Rhonda by the Beach Boys hits #1
- 1966 - Paperback Writer is released by The Beatles
- 1975 - Hey, Won't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song, by B.J. Thomas is certified gold.
- 1970 - Grateful Dead performs outside the U.S. for the 1st time in England
- 1979 - We Are Family by Sister Sledge is certified platinum.
- 2006 - Dixie Chicks release their seventh album Taking the Long Way which goes on to win five Grammy Awards.
Above, is the Dixie Chicks single Taking the Long Way, from their Taking the Long Way album released on this May 23 in 2006.
Please check out our Music Holidays page!
This Day in Sports
- 1873 - The 1st Preakness is won by G. Barbee aboard Survivor in 2:43
- 1926 - Hack Wilson is the 1st to hit a home run off the Wrigley Field scoreboard
- 1948 - Joe DiMaggio hits 3 consecutive home runs
- 1970 - San Diego Padres beat the San Francisco Giants 17-16 in 15 innings
- 1982 - Colin Wilson rides a surfboard 294 miles
- 1990 - New York Yankees beat the Minnesota Twins 12-0 with 6 home runs
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (anatomy) An arrangement of spikes found on the tails of various stegosaurs.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!