Holidays and Observances
2018 Daily Holidays that fall on May 24, include:
- Brother's Day - May 24, 2018
- Eat More Fruits & Vegetables Day - May 24, 2018 (Thursday of Memorial Day Week)
- Emergency Medical Services Day - May 24, 2018
- International Women's Day for Peace and Disarmament
- National Escargot Day
- Red Nose Day - May 24, 2018
- World Schizophrenia Day
2018 Weekly Holidays that include May 24, are:
- Emergency Medical Services Week (EMS) - May 20-26, 2018
- Healthy and Safe Swimming Week - May 21-26, 2018 (Week before Memorial Day Mon-Sat)
- National African Violet Week - May 20-27, 2018
- National Backyard Games Week - May 21-28, 2018 (Week before Memorial Day)
- National Heritage Breeds Week - May 20-26, 2018 (Third Full Week in May)
- National Hurricane Preparedness Week - May 20-26, 2018
- National New Friends, Old Friends - May 20-26, 2018 (Third Week in May)
- National Safe Boating Week - May 19-25, 2018 (Week Before Memorial Day)
- National Unicycle Week - May 20-26, 2018 (Begins on Third Sunday in May)
- Older Americans Mental Health Week - May 20-26, 2018 (Last Full Week in May)
- Ramadan - Evening of May 15, 2018 to Evening of June 14, 2018 (Dates may vary depending on location) - (Muslim Holiday)
- World Trade Week - May 20-26, 2018 (Third Week in May)
2018 Monthly Holidays that include May 24, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our May Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of May.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
The Astrological Sign for May 24 is Gemini.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for May are:
- The Lily of the Valley - Humility, Chastity and Sweetness - signifies a return to happiness
The Birthstone(s) for May is the Emerald which is a symbol of rebirth and is believed to grant the owner foresight, good fortune, and youth.
- 1819 - Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom (d. 1901)
- 1941 - Bob Dylan - American singer, songwriter, writer, painter, and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1944 - Patti LaBelle, American singer, songwriter, and actress (Lady Marmalade)
- 1945 - Priscilla Presley, American actress, businesswoman, former wife of Elvis Presley
- 1984 - Vince McMahon, Dr., American businessman and wrestling promoter who founded WWE (b. 1914)
- 2008 - Dick Martin, American actor and director famous for Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In (b. 1922)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1986 - Country singer Garth Brooks marries songwriter Sandy Mahl. After having three daughters, they divorce in 2001
- 2003 - Actress Kate Winslet (Titantic) marries director Sam Mendes
Quote of the Day
Sounds like such a simple thing to do! Learn to be fill your heart with positive, not negative!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Info. to come soon!
This Day in History
- 1607 - 100 English settlers land in Jamestown, the first English settlement in America
- 1626 - Peter Minuit buys Manhattan for the Dutch
- 1738 - John Wesley is converted and launches the Methodist movement
- 1830 - Sarah Josepha Hale publishes Mary Had a Little Lamb
- 1883 - After 14 years of construction, the Brooklyn Bridge is opened to traffic in New York City
- 1930 - Amy Johnson becomes the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia after landing in Darwin, Northern Territory
- 1958 - The United Press and the International News Service merge to form the United Press International
- 1994 - Four men are convicted of bombing the World Trade Center in New York in 1993 and are each sentenced to 240 years in prison
- 2002 - Russia and the U.S. sign the Moscow Treat
- 2014 - A 6.4 magnitude earthquake hits in the Aegean Sea between Greece and Turkey injuring 324 people
This Day in Music
- 1964 - Love Me Do by the Beatles hits #1
- 1969 - The Guess Who make their American TV debut on American Bandstand and sing These Eyes and Laughing
- 1969 - Get Back by the Beatles hits #1 in America
- 1975 - Shining Star by Earth, Wind & Fire hits #1 in America
- 1997 - The Spice Girls album Spice hits #1 in the U.S.
- 1997 - MMMbop, debut single by Hanson hits #1
- 2006 - Taylor Hicks wins American Idol Season Five
The Beatles - Love Me Do - #1 on this day in 1964
This Day in Sports
- 1935 - The first night game in Major League Baseball history is played at Crosley Field, in Cincinnati, Ohio
- 1987 - Al Unser Sr., wins his 4th Indianapolis 500 race
- 1992 - Al Unser Jr., wins the Indianapolis 500 race
- 2001 - 16 year old Temba Tsheris becomes the youngest person to climb to the top of Mount Everest
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (intransitive, US) To lend money at exorbitant rates of interest.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!