Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on August 28, include:
- Crackers Over the Keyboard Day
- Dream Day
- National Bow Tie Day
- National Cherry Turnover Day
- Race Your Mouse Around the Icons Day
2017 Weekly Holidays that include August 28, are:
- Be Kind to Humankind Week - August 25-31
- Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over - August 18 - September 3, 2017
- Happily Married Husband and Wife Week - August 27 - September 2, 2017
- World Water Week - August 27 - September 1, 2017
2017 Monthly Holidays that include August 28, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our August Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of August.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Expo 2017 - Universal Exposition held between June 10 and September 10, 2017 in Astana, Kazakhstan.
The Astrological Sign for August 28 is Virgo.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month of August are:
- Gladiolus - Strength, moral integrity, remembrance, infatuation. It blooms in a variety of colors like red, pink, white, yellow and orange. It stands for sincerity and symbolizes strength of character.
The Birthstone(s) for August is:
- Peridot which is known for its shimmering yellow-green color and the peace and good luck it brings to its wearer.
- 1831 - Lucy Webb Hayes - wife of U.S. President Hayes, First Lady of the United States from 1877-1881)
- 1913 - Jack Dreyfus, American businessman who founded the Dreyfus Corporation (d. 2009)
- 1951 - Wayne Osmond, American singer, songwriter, and actor (The Osmonds)
- 1958 - Scott Hamilton, American figure skater and Olympic Gold Medalist in the 1984 Olympics
- 1965 - Shania Twain, Canadian singer and songwriter
- 1969 - Jason Piestley, Canadian-American actor, director, and producer (90210)
- 1971 - Todd Eldredge, American figure skater
- 1971 - Janet Evans, American swimmer who won 4 Olympic Gold medals in 1988, 1992, and 1996
- 1982 - LeAnn Rimes, American singer-songwriter and actress
- 1986 - Armie Hammer, American actor (The Lone Ranger)
- 1978 - Robert Shaw, English actor, author, and screenwriter (The Sting, The Deep, From Russia With Love, Jaws) (b. 1927)
- 2007 - Arthur Jones American businessman and inventor of the Nautilus exercise machines, founded Nautilus Inc, and MedX Corporation (b. 1926)
- 2009 - Adam Goldstein, American DJ, drummer, and producer who was also known as DJ AM (b. 1973)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1775 - Statesman John Hancock marries Dorothy Quincy
- 1953 - Jazz musician Ella Fitzgerald divorces bass player Ray Brown
- 1996 - Charles, Prince of Wales and Diana, Princess of Wales divorce
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Mindless Margin....or How Did I get so Overweight????
The Mindless Margin, is the margin or zone, in which we can either slightly overeat, or slightly under eat, without being aware of it. Most of us can trim, or add to our food intake by 20% without noticing it, either way.
This is the key to losing or gaining weight. It is also the reason why diets are not needed. Great healthy diet habits, can keep you in the lower end of the mindless margin. You do not need to change your entire life and starve yourself.
Find out more about the Mindless Margin, from Kerry at Healthy Diet Habits. (link goes to her website)
This Day in History
- 1609 - Henry Hudson discovers and explores Delaware Bay.
- 1619 - Ferdinand II is elected emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1845 - The Scientific American magazine publishes its first issue
- 1867 - The United States takes possession of the Midway Atoll in the Pacific
- 1898 - Caleb Bradham invents Pepsi-Cola
- 1916 - Germany declares war on Romania
- 1916 - Italy declares war on Germany
- 1968 - Riots occur in Chicago, Illinois, during the Democratic National Convention
- 1990 - Iraq declares Kuwait to be its newest province.
- 1990 - An F5 tornado hits in Illinois and kills 29 people in the cities of Plainfield and Joliet
This Day in Music
- 1961 - Please Mr. Postman is released by The Marvelettes
- 1986 - Tina Turner receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 2005 - The Importance of Being Idle by Oasis hits #1 on the UK singles chart
- 2005 - Green Day wins seven awards at the MTV music awards including the Viewer's Choice Award and Video of the Year for Boulevard of Broken Dreams
I had never heard the Oasis song, The Importance of Being Idle until I was doing this page, but I like it! I really like their song Champagne SuperNova (below)!
This Day in Sports
- 1977 - Nolan Ryan strikes out 300 batters for his 5th consecutive year
- 1987 - Mike Schmidt passes up Ted Williams & Willie McCovey with 522 HRs
- 1993 - Long Beach California beats Panama for the Little League World Championship
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
Battle of the Sexes (noun)
1. (game theory) A situation in which two people want to do different things, but do them together.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!