Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on August 5, include:
- International Hangover Day - August 5, 2017 (Day after International Beer Day)
- Mead Day - August 5, 2017
- National Jamaican Patty Day - August 5, 2017 (First Saturday in August)
- National Mustard Day - August 5, 2017 (First Saturday in August)
- National Oyster Day
- National Underwear Day
- Sandcastle Day - August 5, 2017 (First Saturday in August)
- Work Like a Dog Day
2017 Weekly Holidays that include August 5, are:
- International Clown Week - August 1-7
- National Minority Donor Awareness Week - August 1-7
- Satchmo Summerfest - August 4-6, 2017 (in New Orleans)
- Simplify Your Life Week - August 1-7
- Single Working Women's Week - July 30 - August 5, 2017
- Twins Day - August 4-6, 2017 (First Full Weekend in August)
- World Breastfeeding Week - August 1-7 (First Full Week of August)
2017 Monthly Holidays that include August 5, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our August Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of August.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Expo 2017 - Universal Exposition held between June 10 and September 10, 2017 in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- World Police and Fire Games - This is a biennially event held every two years. Next event will be July 28 - August 6, 2017 in Montreal, Canada and in 2019 it will be held in Chengdu, China.
The Astrological Sign for August 5 is Leo.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month of August are:
- Gladiolus - Strength, moral integrity, remembrance, infatuation. It blooms in a variety of colors like red, pink, white, yellow and orange. It stands for sincerity and symbolizes strength of character.
The Birthstone(s) for August is:
- Peridot which is known for its shimmering yellow-green color and the peace and good luck it brings to its wearer.
- 1930 - Neil Armstron, American pilot, engineer, and astronaut, 1st Moonwalker (Gemini 8, Apollo 11) (d. 2012)
- 1939 - Princess Irene of the Netherlands
- 1945 - Loni Anderson, American actress (WKRP in Cincinnati)
- 1956 - Maureen McCormick, American actress and singer (The Brady Bunch)
- 1964 - Adam Yauch (MCA), American rapper and director (Beastie Boys) (d. 2012)
- 1729 - Thomas Newcomen, English engineer who invented the Newcomen steam engine (b. 1664)
- 1962 - Marilyn Monroe, American model, actress and singer (Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend) (b. 1926)
- 1984 - Richard Burton, Welsh actor and producer (b. 1925)
- 1991 - Soichiro Honda, Japanese engineer and businessman who was the CEO & founder of Honda
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1885 - Author Arthur Conan Doyle (creator of Sherlock Holmes) marries Louisa Hawkins
- 1956 - Actress and singer Shirley Jones marries actor Jack Cassidy
- 1964 - Film director Mel Brooks marries actress Anne Bancroft
- 1971 - Singer Donna Summer marries actor Helmuth Sommer
- 1975 - Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry marries Elissa Jerret
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The personality type diet is a diet developed by Dr. Robert Kushner. He has written a book titled "Dr. Kushner’s Personality Type Diet." The book will show you what attitudes and behaviors could be preventing you from healthy eating, losing weight, and developing healthy diet habits!
Find out more about the Personality Type Diet! (link goes to Kerry's Healthy Diet Habits website)
This Day in History
- 1100 - Henry I is crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey
- 1305 - William Wallace, who led the Scottish resistance against England is captured near Glasgow and taken to London where he is put on trial and executed.
- 1583 - Sir Humphrey Gilbert claims Newfoundland for the British crown and establishes the first English colony in North America
- 1861 - The United States Army abolishes flogging
- 1861 - The US levies it's 1st Income tax as part of the Revenue Act of 1861 (3% of all income over $800)
- 1882 - The Standard Oil of New Jersey is established
- 1884 - The cornerstone for the Statue of Liberty is laid on Bedloe's Island in New York Harbor (now called Liberty Island)
- 1891 - American Express issues their 1st travelers checks
- 1914 - In the USA, the first electric traffic light is installed in Cleveland, Ohio
- 1926 - Harry Houdini stays in a sealed tank underwater 91 minutes before escaping
- 1949 - A 6.75 earthquake hits Ecuador and destroys 50 towns and kills more than 6,000
- 1963 - The United States, the Soviet Union and the United Kingdom sign a nuclear test ban treaty
- 1964 - The U.S. begin bombing North Vietnam in retaliation for strikes against U.S. destroyers in the Gulf of Tonkin.
- 1981 - U.S. President Ronald Regan fires 11,359 striking air traffic controllers
This Day in Music
- 1957 - American Bandstand debuts
- 1969 - The Beatles record Because and The End
- 1975 - Stevie Wonder signs a $13 million contract with Mowtown to record albums for seven years
- 1978 - Miss You by The Rolling Stones hits #1
- 1980 - The Osmonds officially disband
- 1981 - Olivia Newton-John receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 1989 - The album Cuts Both Ways by Gloria Estefan hits #1 on the UK album chart
- 1989 - Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx hits #1 (Shown below)
This Day in Sports
- 1837 - The highest mountain in Adirondack, NY, Mt. Marcy (5,344') is ascended for the 1st time
- 1923 - Henry Sullivan is the 1st American to swim the English Channel
- 1948 - The Cleveland Indians with 6 double plays set the record for most double plays in a game
- 1979 - Willie Mays, Warren Giles, & Hack Wilson are inducted into baseball's Hall of Fame
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
Dog Days (noun plural)
1. The days between early July and early September when Sirius (The Dog Star) rises and sets with the sun.
2. Hot, lazy days.
3. A period of inactivity, laziness, or stagnation.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!