Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on September 1, include:
- Bring Your Manners to Work Day - September 1, 2017 (First Friday)
- Building and Code Staff Appreciation Day
- Calendar Adjustment Day
- Chicken Boy Day
- Emma M. Nutt Day
- National Cherry Popover Day
- National College Colors Day - September 1, 2017 (First Friday of College School Week)
- National Lazy Mom's Day - September 1, 2017 (First Friday in September)
- National No Rhyme Nor Reason Day
- Toy Tips Executive Toy Test Day
2017 Weekly Holidays that include September 1, are:
- Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over - August 18 - September 3, 2017
- Eid ad-Adha - Evening of September 1 - Evening of September 5, 2017
- Happily Married Husband and Wife Week - August 27 - September 2, 2017
- International Enthusiasm Week - September 1-7
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Week - August 30 - September 2, 2017
- National Childhood Injury Prevention Week - September 1-7
- Self-University Week - September 1-7
- World Water Week - August 27 - September 1, 2017
2017 Monthly Holidays that include September 1, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our September Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of September.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Expo 2017 - Universal Exposition held between June 10 and September 10, 2017 in Astana, Kazakhstan.
The Astrological Sign for September 1 is Virgo.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month of September are:
- Aster - symbols of powerful love.
- Morning Glory - simple symbols of affection.
The Birthstone(s) for September is Sapphires:
- Sapphires have a centuries long association with royalty and romance, and September's birthstone jewelry incorporates beautiful sapphire gems.
- 1795 - James Gordon Bennett, Sr., American newspaper publisher who founded the New York Herald (d. 1872)
- 1923 - Rocky Marciano, American heavyweight boxer (d. 1969)
- 1933 - Conway Twitter - American country singer, songwriter and guitarist (1993)
- 1939 - Lily Tomlin, American comedienne, actress (Laugh-In)
- 1946 - Barry Gibb, English singer and songwriter (Bee Gees)
- 1957 - Gloria Estefan, Cuban-American singer, songwriter, and actress (Miami Sound Machine)
- 1975 - Scott Speedman, English-Canadian actor (Felicity)
- 1996 - Zendaya, American actress, singer, and dancer (Disney channel, Dances with the Stars)
- 1715 - King Louis XIV of France (b. 1638)
- 1838 - William Clark, American soldier, explorer (Lewis & Clark Expedition), and politician (4th Governor of Missouri Territory) (b. 1770)
- 2008 - Jerry Reed, American singer, songwriter, guitarist, and actor (b. 1937)
- 2013 - Tommy Morrison, American heavyweight boxing champion and actor (b. 1969)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1730 - US Founding Father Benjamin Franklin establishes a common-law marriage with Deborah Read
- 1996 - Amy Carter, the only child of former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, marries computer consultant Jim Wentzel
- 2001 - Actress Geena Davis (Thelma & Louise) marries Iranian-American plastic surgeon Dr. Reza Jarrahy
- 2002 - Actress Sarah Michelle Geller (Buffy) marries actor Freddie Prinze Jr.
Quote of the Day
Gloria Estefan, was born on this day, September 1, 1957! I have always loved her songs, and her inspirational life story! I love the words to her song Words Get in The Way in this quote!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Start the day with a Healthy Breakfast! The month of September is All American Breakfast Month and National Breakfast Month!
Find out tips from Kerry at Healthy Diet Habits on why eating a Healthy Breakfast is so important! (link goes to her website)
This Day in History
- 717 - The Siege of Constantinople, where the Muslim armada of 1,800 ships is defeated by the Byzantine Navy through the use of Greek fire.
- 1449 - Mongols capture the Emperor of China
- 1715 - After reigning 72 years (the longest of any major European monarch), King Louis XIV of France dies
- 1772 - Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa is founded in San Luis Obispo, California
- 1878 - Emma Nutt is the 1st female telephone operator recruited by Alexander Graham Bell in Boston
- 1897 - The Boston subway opens as the first underground rapid transit system in North America
- 1923 - A 7.9 earthquake devastates Tokyo and Yokohama, killing over 142,000
- 1939 - Switzerland proclaims neutrality in World War II
- 1939 - Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland and begin the European phase of World War II
- 1951 - The United States, Australia, and New Zealand sign the ANZUS Treaty, a mutual defense pact
- 1952 - The Old Man and the Sea, a novel by Ernest Hemingway is first published and would go on to win a Pulitzer Prize
- 1969 - A coup in Libya brings Colonel Muammar Gaddafi to power
- 1979 - The American space probe Pioneer 11 makes 1st fly by of Saturn
- 1982 - The United States Air Force Space Command is founded
- 1985 - A joint US and French expedition locates the wreckage of the RMS Titanic off Newfoundland
- 1997 - The death of Diana, Princess of Wales is announced by Buckingham Palace (She died on August 31, 1997 in Paris, France)
This Day in Music
- 1962 - Sheila by Tommy Roe hits #1
- 1967 - Box Scaggs joins The Steve Miller Band
- 1972 - Back Stabbers by The O'Jay's is certified gold
- 2002 - The album A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay hits #1 in the UK
This Day in Sports
- 1926 - The British Columbia Rugby Football Union is formed
- 1972 - In Reykjavik, Iceland, American Bobby Fisher becomes the world chess champion after beating Russian Boris Spassky
- 1980 - Nancy Lopez wins the LPGA Rail Charity Golf Classic
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. (informal) The period of time for which one wears a diaper as a child; babyhood.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!