Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on February 7, include:
- African American Coaches Day - February 7, 2017 (First Tuesday in February)
- Ballet Day
- Dump Your Significant Jerk Day
- E Day
- International Day of Black Women in the Arts
- National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- National Fettuccine Alfredo Day
- Send a Card to a Friend Day
- Wave All Your Fingers at Your Neighbor Day
2017 Weekly Holidays that include February 7, are:
- African Heritage & Health Week - February 1-7
- Boy Scout Anniversary Week - February 5-11, 2017
- Burn Awareness Week - February 5-11, 2017
- Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week - February 7-14
- Dump Your Significant Jerk Week - February 5-11, 2017 (Week Before Valentines Day)
- Freelance Writers Appreciation Week - February 5-11, 2017 (Second Week of February)
- Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week - February 7-14
- International Coaching Week - February 5-11, 2017
- International Networking Week - February 6-10, 2017
- International Week of Black Women In the Arts - February 7-15
- Just Say No to Power Point Week - February 5-11, 2017
- National Marriage Week USA - February 7-14
- National Patient Recognition Week - February 1-7
- National School Counseling Week - February 6-10, 2017
- Publicity for Profit Week - February 2-8
- Risk Awareness Week - February 7-14
- Solo Diners Eat Out Week - February 1-7
- Women's Heart Week - February 1-7
- World Interfaith Harmony Week - February 1-7 (First Week of February)
2017 Monthly Holidays that include February 7, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our February Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of February.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Harbin Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival - Starts annually on January 5, and typically runs for a month or more, in Harbin, China and is the largest ice and snow festival in the world! 2017 Dates are January 5 - February 28, 2017
- Chinese New Year Festival and Parade - January 21 - February 19, 2017 (San Francisco, CA)
- Yukon Quest - Starts February 4, 2017 - February 18, 2016 (approx) This is a 1,000 mile International Sled Dog Race from Whitehorse, Yukon to Anchorage, Alaska. (Race is typically 10-14 days long)
The Astrological Sign for February 7 is an Aquarius.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for February are:
- Violet - symbolizes faithfulness, loyalty, humility, wisdom, and hope
- Primrose - Modesty, distinction, and virtue
The Birthstone for February is Amethyst.
- 1804 – John Deere, American manufacturer (Deere & Company) (d. 1886)
- 1812 – Charles Dickens, English novelist (d. 1870) (Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carole, David Copperfield, and a Tale of Two Cities were some of his most popular works)
- 1867 – Laura Ingalls Wilder, American author of the beloved Little House on the Prairie books (d. 1957)
- 1873 – Thomas Andrews, Naval architect in charge of the plans for the ocean liner RMS Titanic. He was traveling on the maiden voyage, and was one of those that perished in the disaster when the ship hit ice and sunk.
- 1962 - Garth Brooks, American Country Singer
- 1965 – Chris Rock, American actor and comedian
- 1938 - Harvey Firestone, American manufacturer (Firestone Tire and Rubber Company)
- 1994 - Richard Bissell, US under director of CIA (Pig's Bay)
- 1999 – King Hussein of Jordan (b. 1935)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1988 - Heavyweight boxing champ Mike Tyson marries actress Robin Givens.
- 1993 - Pebbles Flintstone & Bamm Bamm Rubble wed
- 2009 - Actress and skating champ Kristy Swanson, weds 1993 World Pair Skater Champion Lloyd Eisler
Quote of the Day
Charles Dickens was born on February 7, 1812. He really had some words to live by!
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Holidays and Observances Recipe of the Day for February 7 is a Seasonal Vegetable Pasta from Kerry, at Healthy Diet Habits. (link opens in a new browser)
Fixing seasonal vegetable pasta is a healthy diet habit and a quick dinner meal idea when time is short. This recipe has spinach, cabbage, peppers, zucchini, and cauliflower!
This Day in History
- 1795 – The 11th Amendment to the United States Constitution which deals with each state's sovereign immunity is ratified.
- 1900 - Labour Party forms in England
- 1904 – A fire in Baltimore, Maryland destroys over 1,500 buildings in 30 hours
- 1907 – The Mud March is the first large procession organized by the National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies
- 1928 - 1st solo England to Australia flight takes off (Bert Hinkler)
- 1935 – The board game Monopoly is invented.
- 1940 – The second full length animated Walt Disney film, Pinocchio, premieres.
- 1951 – Korean War - Sancheong-Hamyang massacre
- 1962 – The United States bans all Cuban imports and exports.
- 1969 - Al-Fatah-leader Yasser Arafat becomes president of PLO
- 1979 – Pluto moves inside Neptune's orbit for the first time since they were both discovered
- 1983 - 1st female secretary of transportation is sworn in (Elizabeth Dole)
- 1984 - Astronauts Bruce McCandless II, and Robert L. Stewart make the first untethered space walk using the Manned Maneuvering Unit during the STS-41-B Mission
- 1990 - The Central Committee of the Soviet Communist Party agrees to give up its monopoly on power.
- 1995 – Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and a co-conspirator in the Bojinka plot is arrested in Islamabad, Pakistan
This Day in Music
- 1964 - The Beatles arrive in the US for the first time, arriving at New York's JFK airport to 5,000 screaming Beatles fans
- 1966 - The Beach Boys' album Summer Days is certified gold
- 1966 - The Beatles, Nowhere Man is released
- 1970 - Johnny Cash's album Hello, I'm Johnny Cash is certified gold
- 1970 - Shocking Blue's, Venus hits #1
- 1974 - Barry White's Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up, and his album Stone Gon' are certified gold
- 1974 -The Love Unlimited Orchestra's Love's Theme, and their album Under the Influence of Love Unlimited are certified gold
- 1976 - Paul Simon's Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover hits #1
- 1976 - Bob Dylan's album Desire hits #1
- 1981 - Kool & The Gang's Celebration hits #1
- 1981 - John Lennon hits #1 in the UK with Woman, inspired by his wife Yoko Ono
- 1985 - Frank Sinatra's New York, New York becomes the official anthem of New York City.
- 1987 - George Michael and Aretha Franklin hit #1 in the UK with I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)
- 1987 - Madonna hits #1 with Open Your Heart
- 1999 - Blondie hits #1 in the UK with Maria
George Michael and Aretha Franklin's, I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) hit number 1 on February 7, in 1987 in the United Kingdom. I am a huge fan of both of them, so I thought this was a fantastic duet pairing.
This Day in Sports
- 1884 - Canadian Rugby Football Union forms
- 1949 - Joe DiMaggio becomes 1st $100,000/year baseball player (NY Yankees)
- 1958 - Dodgers officially become the Los Angeles Dodgers, Inc
- 1959 - Dorothy Rigney sells White Sox to Bill Veeck for a reported $27M
- 1969 - Diane Crump becomes 1st woman jockey at a major US racetrack (Hialeah)
- 1976 – Darryl Sittler sets an NHL record for scoring 10 points in a single game.
- 1987 - Dennis Conner & Stars & Stripes bring America's Cup back to US
- 1987 - US male Figure Skating championship won by Brian Boitano
- 1991 - Bob Knight, Larry O'Brien, Tiny Archibald, Dave Cowens, Harry Gallatin & Larry Fleisher elected to NBA Hall of Fame
- 1998 - 18th Winter Olympic games open at Nagano Japan
- 2010 - Super Bowl XLIV; New Orleans Saints defeated the Indianapolis Colts 31-17 to win their first super bowl
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Someone who creates constructed languages (conlangs).
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!