Holidays and Observances
2019 Daily Holidays that fall on January 13, include:
- Make Your Dreams Come True Day
- National Peach Melba Day
- National Sticker Day
- National Sunday Supper Day - January 13, 2019 (Second Sunday in January)
- Poetry Break Day
- Public Radio Broadcasting Day
- Rubber Ducky Day
- Stephen Foster Memorial Day
2019 Weekly Holidays that include January 13, are:
- Cuckoo Dancing Week - January 11-17
- Home Office Safety and Security Week - January 13-19, 2019
- National Lose Weight - Feel Great Week - January 6-13, 2019
- National Pizza Week - January 13-19, 2019 (Second Full Week of January)
- Universal Letter Writing Week - January 8-14
2019 Monthly Holidays that include January 13, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out my January Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of January.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Harbin Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival - Starts annually on January 5, and typically runs for a month or more, in Harbin, China and is the largest ice and snow festival in the world!
- National Western Stock Show and Rodeo - January 12-27, 2019 (Denver, CO)
The Astrological Sign for January 13 is a Capricorn.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for January are:
- Carnation - The Carnation is the Birth Flower for January. The symbolization of the Carnation means love, pride, beauty, purity, distinction, fascination, and loyal.
- Snowdrop is a white flower with three small petals in the middle surrounded by three larger petals on the outside. The symbolization of the snowdrop means love, fascination, and purity.
See our GARDEN HOLIDAYS page for all the special days celebrating things of the garden!
The Birthstone for January is a Garnet.
- 1787 - John Davis, 14th and 17th Governor of Massachusetts
- 1961 - Julia Louis-Dreyfus, NYC, comedienne (Seinfeld)
- 1966 - Patrick Dempsey, American actor, race car driver (Grey's Anatomy)
- 1970 - Rubber Duckie's Birthday (Ernie's favorite toy on Sesame Street)
- 1977 - Orlando Bloom, English actor (Most famous for Pirates of the Caribbean and the Lord of the Ring Movies)
- 1929 – Wyatt Earp, American Western lawman (born 1848)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 2006 - Actress Shelley Winters marries Gerry DeFord
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
Holidays and Observances January 13 Recipe of the Day is Spicy Lentil Soup Recipe from Kerry of Healthy Diet Habits. January is National Soup Month!
This Day in History
- 1830 - The Great fire in New Orleans begins and was thought to be set by rebel slaves
- 1888 - The National Geographic Society was founded in Washington, DC
- 1930 - Mickey Mouse comic strip 1st appears and ran for 45 years. Mickey is the official Mascot for The Walt Disney Company. His girlfriend is Minnie Mouse, and his dog is named Pluto.
- 1942 - During World War II, the first use of aircraft ejection seat by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 jet fighter.
- 1943 - Hitler declares Total War
- 1957 - Wham-O Company produces the 1st Frisbee, still highly popular today, among people and dogs!
- 1982 - Air Florida 737 took off in a snowstorm, crashes into 14th St Bridge in
Washington, DC, & falls into Potomac River, killing 78
- 1989 - Computers across Britain hit by Friday the 13th virus
- 2018 - There was widespread panic in the state of Hawaii as a false emergency alert warning announced an impending missile strike
This Day in Music
- 1962 - Chubby Checker's The Twist hits #1 for the second time
- 1967 - Rolling Stones appear on Ed Sullivan Show
- 1969 - Beatles release their Yellow Submarine album
- 1973 - Carly Simon's album No Secrets hits #1
- 1978 - Elvis Presley's My Way is certified gold
- 1979 - YMCA files libel suit against Village People's YMCA song
A Young Dick Clark introduces Chubby Checker to perform The Twist on the American Bandstand.
This Day in Sports
- 1962 - Wilt Chamberlain, of Warriors scores then NBA record 73 points vs Chicago
- 1982 - Hank Aaron & Frank Robinson are elected to Hall of Fame
- 1985 - 99-yr-old Otto Bucher scores a hole-in-one at Spanish golf course
- 1993 - Super Bowl XXVII in Pasadena - Cowboys beat Bills 30-13
- 1995 - America3 becomes the 1st all-female crew to win an America's Cup race
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Lasting only a short time; temporary.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!