Holidays and Observances
2017 Daily Holidays that fall on March 8, include:
- Discover What Your Name Means Day - March 8, 2017 (Wednesday of First Full Week which is Celebrate Your Name Week)
- Girls Write Now Day
- International (Working) Women's Day
- National Be Nasty Day
- National Peanut Cluster Day
- National Proofreading Day
- Registered Dietitian Day - March 8, 2017 (Second Wednesday in March)
- UN Day for Women's Rights & International Peace
2017 Weekly Holidays that include March 8, are:
- American Nurses Association Week - March 8-10, 2017
- Celebrate Your Name Week - March 5-11, 2017 (First Full Week in March)
- Endometriosis Awareness Week - March 3-9, 2017
- Lent - Begins on Ash Wednesday - March 1 - April 13, 2017
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is April 16, 2017)
- National Consumer Protection Week - March 5-11, 2017
- National Dental Assistants Recognition Week - March 5-11, 2017
- National Groundwater Awareness Week - March 5-11, 2017
- National Procrastination Week - March 5-11, 2017 (Second Week of March)
- National PTA Drug & Alcohol Awareness Week - March 5-11, 2017 March
- National School Breakfast Week - March 6-10, 2017 (Mon-Fri of the First Full Week in March)
- National Schools Social Work Week - March 5-11, 2017 (First Full Week of March)
- National Sleep Awareness Week - March 5-11, 2017 (Week before Daylight Savings Time)
- National Words Matter Week - March 5-11, 2017
- Newspaper in Education Week - March 6-10, 2017 (First Full School Week in March)
- No More Week - March 7-13, 2017
- Orthodox Lent - February 27 - April 7, 2017
- Professional Pet Sitters Week - March 5-11, 2017
- Read an E-Book Week - March 5-11, 2017
- Return Borrowed Books Week - March 5-11, 2017 (First Week of March
- Save Your Vision Week - March 5-11, 2017
- Teen Tech Week - March 5-11, 2017 (Second Week in March)
- Universal Women's Week - March 8-14
- Women in Construction Week - March 6-12, 2017
- Women of Aviation Worldwide Week - March 6-12, 2017
- World Orphan Week - March 4-11
2017 Monthly Holidays that include March 8, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our March Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of March.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Hong Kong Arts Festival - February 16, 2017 - March 18, 2017 features Art, Theatre, Dance, Opera, and Music events.
- North Dakota Winter Show - March 4-11, 2017 (Valley City, ND)
- Iditarod Race - Starts March 4, 2017 - Awards Banquet on March 19, 2017 - A Dogsled Race on the Iditarod Trail in Alaska running 1,000 miles from Anchorage to Nome.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - March 7-26, 2017 (Houston, TX)
The Astrological Sign for March 8 is Pisces.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for March are:
- The Jonquil, better known as Daffodil or Narcissus
- The meaning of the Daffodil is friendship and domestic happiness
The Birthstone(s) for March is the aquamarine and the bloodstone.
- 1943 – Lynn Redgrave, English actress (d. 2010)
- 1945 – Micky Dolenz, American musician, singer, songwriter, actor. (The Monkees)
- 1959 – Aidan Quinn, American actor (Legends of the Fall)
- 1961 – Camryn Manheim, American actress (The Practice)
- 1976 – Freddie Prinze Jr., American actor (I Know What You Did Last Summer, 24)
- 1976 – Hines Ward, American football player
- 1874 - Millard Fillmore, US 13th President from 1850-53
- 1999 – Joe DiMaggio, American baseball player (b. 1914)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1991 - Harry Hamlin marries Nicollette Sheridan
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day for March 8, is a collection of tips on how to avoid Winter Weight Gain, by Kerry, of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1817 – The New York Stock Exchange is founded.
- 1936 – Daytona Beach Road Course holds its first oval stock car race.
- 1838 - US mint in New Orleans begins operation producing dimes
- 1855 - 1st train crosses 1st US railway suspension bridge at Niagara Falls
- 1894 - The state of New York enacts the nation's first dog licensing law
- 1911 - 1st International Woman's Day
- 1913 - Internal Revenue Service begins to levy & collect income taxes
- 1920 - Cuba & Denmark join the League of Nations
- 1957 – Egypt re-opens the Suez Canal after the Suez Crisis.
- 1957 – Ghana joins the United Nations
- 1965 - 3,500 Marines are the 1st US combat forces to arrive in Vietnam
- 1972 - 1st flight of the Goodyear blimp
- 1979 – Philips demonstrates the Compact Disc publicly for the first time
- 1983 – U.S. President Ronald Reagan calls the Soviet Union an "evil empire"
This Day in Music
- 1975 - Olivia Newton John's Have You Never Been Mellow hits #1
- 1976 - Gary Wright's Dream Weaver is certified gold
- 1986 - Diana Ross's Chain Reaction, written by the Bee Gees, hits #1 on the UK singles chart
- 1986 - Whitney Houston's Whitney Houston Album hits #1 on the US album charts
- 1994 - Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral is released
- 2009 - U2's album No Line on The Horizon hits #1 on the UK album charts
This Day in Sports
- 1930 - Babe Ruth signs 2-year contract for $160,000 with NY Yankees
- 1971 - Joe Frazier beats Muhammad Ali in 15, retains heavyweight boxing title
- 1986 - Martina Navratilova is 1st tennis player to earn $10 million
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Lasting three days.
2. Happening every third day.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or Solo Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!