Holidays and Observances
2018 Daily Holidays that fall on March 8, include:
- Girls Write Now Day
- International (Working) Women's Day
- Nametag Day - March 8, 2018 (Thursday of First Full Week in March which is Celebrate Your Name Week)
- National Be Nasty Day
- National Peanut Cluster Day
- National Proofreading Day
- Popcorn Lover's Day - March 8, 2018 (Second Thursday in March)
- UN Day for Women's Rights & International Peace - March 8
- World Kidney Day - March 8, 2018 (Second Thursday in March)
2018 Weekly Holidays that include March 8, are:
- Celebrate Your Name Week - March 4-10, 2018 (First Full Week in March)
- Endometriosis Awareness Week - March 3-9, 2018
- Jewish Book Week - March 3-11, 2018
- Lent - Begins on Ash Wednesday - February 14, 2018 - March 29, 2018
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is April 1, 2018)
- National Consumer Protection Week - March 4-10, 2018
- National Days of Action (Peace Corps) - March 3-15, 2018
- National Dental Assistants Recognition Week - March 4-10, 2018
- National Money Collectors Week - March 8-10, 2018
- National Procrastination Week - March 4-10, 2018 (Second Week of March)
- National School Breakfast Week - March 5-9, 2018 (Mon-Fri of the First Full Week in March)
- National Schools Social Work Week - March 4-10, 2018 (First Full Week of March)
- National Words Matter Week - March 4-10, 2018 (First Full Week of March)
- Newspaper in Education Week - March 5-9, 2018 (First Full School Week in March)
- Orthodox Lent - February 19 - April 7, 2018
- Professional Pet Sitters Week - March 4-10, 2018
- Read an E-Book Week - March 4-10, 2018
- Return Borrowed Books Week - March 4-10, 2018 (First Week of March)
- Save Your Vision Week - March 4-10, 2018
- Teen Tech Week - March 4-10, 2018 (Second Week in March)
- Universal Women's Week - March 8-14
- Women in Construction Week - March 4-10, 2018
- Women of Aviation Worldwide Week - March 5-11, 2018
- World Orphan Week - March 4-11
2018 Monthly Holidays that include March 8, are:
There are too many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our March Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of March.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Hong Kong Arts Festival - February 23, 2018 - March 24, 2018 features Art, Theatre, Dance, Opera, and Music events.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - February 27 - March 18, 2018 (Houston, TX)
- North Dakota Winter Show - March 3-10, 2018 (Valley City, ND)
- Iditarod Race - Starts March 3, 2018 - A Dogsled Race on the Iditarod Trail in Alaska running 1,000 miles from Anchorage to Nome. Awards Banquet is Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 4pm.
- Crufts (The World's Largest Dog Show) held in Birmingham, England - March 8-11, 2018
The Astrological Sign for March 8 is Pisces.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for March are:
- The Jonquil, better known as Daffodil or Narcissus
- The meaning of the Daffodil is friendship and domestic happiness
The Birthstone(s) for March is the aquamarine and the bloodstone.
- 1943 – Lynn Redgrave, English actress (d. 2010)
- 1945 – Micky Dolenz, American musician, singer, songwriter, actor. (The Monkees)
- 1959 – Aidan Quinn, American actor (Legends of the Fall)
- 1961 – Camryn Manheim, American actress (The Practice)
- 1976 – Freddie Prinze Jr., American actor (I Know What You Did Last Summer, 24)
- 1976 – Hines Ward, American football player
- 1874 - Millard Fillmore, US 13th President from 1850-53
- 1999 – Joe DiMaggio, American baseball player (b. 1914)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1991 - Harry Hamlin marries Nicollette Sheridan
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day for March 8, is a collection of tips on how to avoid Winter Weight Gain, by Kerry, of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1817 – The New York Stock Exchange is founded.
- 1936 – Daytona Beach Road Course holds its first oval stock car race.
- 1838 - US mint in New Orleans begins operation producing dimes
- 1855 - 1st train crosses 1st US railway suspension bridge at Niagara Falls
- 1894 - The state of New York enacts the nation's first dog licensing law
- 1911 - 1st International Woman's Day
- 1913 - Internal Revenue Service begins to levy & collect income taxes
- 1920 - Cuba & Denmark join the League of Nations
- 1957 – Egypt re-opens the Suez Canal after the Suez Crisis.
- 1957 – Ghana joins the United Nations
- 1965 - 3,500 Marines are the 1st US combat forces to arrive in Vietnam
- 1972 - 1st flight of the Goodyear blimp
- 1979 – Philips demonstrates the Compact Disc publicly for the first time
- 1983 – U.S. President Ronald Reagan calls the Soviet Union an "evil empire"
- 2014 - Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappears after takeoff from Kuala Lumpur on their way to Beijing. There were a total of 239 people on board.
This Day in Music
- 1975 - Olivia Newton John's Have You Never Been Mellow hits #1
- 1976 - Gary Wright's Dream Weaver is certified gold
- 1986 - Diana Ross's Chain Reaction, written by the Bee Gees, hits #1 on the UK singles chart
- 1986 - Whitney Houston's Whitney Houston Album hits #1 on the US album charts
- 1994 - Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral is released
- 2009 - U2's album No Line on The Horizon hits #1 on the UK album charts
This Day in Sports
- 1930 - Babe Ruth signs 2-year contract for $160,000 with NY Yankees
- 1971 - Joe Frazier beats Muhammad Ali in 15, retains heavyweight boxing title
- 1986 - Martina Navratilova is 1st tennis player to earn $10 million
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Lasting three days.
2. Happening every third day.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
Solo Build It, or SBI, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!