Holidays and Observances
2016 Daily Holidays that fall on March 8, include:
- Girls Write Now Day
- International (Working) Women's Day
- National Be Nasty Day
- National Pancake Day (IHOP) - March 8, 2016
- National Peanut Cluster Day
- National Proofreading Day
- Organize Your Home Office Day - March 8, 2016 (Second Tuesday in March)
- UN Day for Women's Rights & International Peace
- Unique Names Day - March 8, 2016 (Tuesday of First Full Week in March which is Celebrate Your Name Week)
2016 Weekly Holidays that include March 8, are:
- Celebrate Your Name Week - March 6-12, 2016 (First Full Week in March)
- Endometriosis Awareness Week - March 3-9, 2016
- Girl Scout Week - March 6-12, 2016 (Second Week of March)
- Lent - Begins on Ash Wednesday - February 10, 2016 - March 24, 2016
- Make Mine Chocolate - (Campaign kicks off annually on Feb 15, and ends on Easter which is March 27, 2016)
- National Consumer Protection Week - March 6-12, 2016
- National Groundwater Awareness Week - March 6-12, 2016
- National Procrastination Week - March 6-12, 2016 (Second Week of March)
- National PTA Drug & Alcohol Awareness Week - March 6-12, 2016 March
- National School Breakfast Week - March 7-11, 2016 (Mon-Fri of the First Full Week in March)
- National Schools Social Work Week - March 6-12, 2016 (First Full Week of March)
- National Sleep Awareness Week - March 6-12, 2016 (Week before Daylight Savings Time)
- National Words Matter Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Newspaper in Education Week - March 7-11, 2016 (First Full School Week in March)
- No More Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Professional Pet Sitters Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Read an E-Book Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Return Borrowed Books Week - March 6-12, 2016 (First Week of March)
- Save Your Vision Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Teen Tech Week - March 6-12, 2016 (Second Week in March)
- Universal Women's Week - March 8-14
- Women in Construction Week - March 6-12, 2016
- Women of Aviation Worldwide Week - March 7-13, 2016
- World Orphan Week - March 4-11
2016 Monthly Holidays that include March 8, are:
There are too
many monthly holidays to include here, so please check out our March Holidays page to see all of the holidays that are celebrated the entire month of March.
- A page on each holiday will be coming soon and linked above.
- If a date is a movable holiday, that is different every year, I'll include the year as well as the date rule above. Otherwise, the holiday falls on the same date each year.
World Festivals and Events
- Hong Kong Arts Festival - February 19, 2016 - March 20, 2016 features Art, Theatre, Dance, Opera, and Music events.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - March 1-20, 2016 (Houston, TX)
- Iditarod Race - Starts March 5, 2016 - Awards Banquet on March 20, 2016 - A Dogsled Race on the Iditarod Trail in Alaska running 1,000 miles from Anchorage to Nome.
The Astrological Sign for March 8 is Pisces.
Birth Flower of the Month
The Birth Flower(s) for the Month for March are:
- The Jonquil, better known as Daffodil or Narcissus
- The meaning of the Daffodil is friendship and domestic happiness
The Birthstone(s) for March is the aquamarine and the bloodstone.
- 1943 – Lynn Redgrave, English actress (d. 2010)
- 1945 – Micky Dolenz, American musician, singer, songwriter, actor. (The Monkees)
- 1959 – Aidan Quinn, American actor (Legends of the Fall)
- 1961 – Camryn Manheim, American actress (The Practice)
- 1976 – Freddie Prinze Jr., American actor (I Know What You Did Last Summer, 24)
- 1976 – Hines Ward, American football player
- 1874 - Millard Fillmore, US 13th President from 1850-53
- 1999 – Joe DiMaggio, American baseball player (b. 1914)
Famous Weddings and Divorces
- 1952 - Ronald Reagan marries Nancy Davis
- 1991 - Harry Hamlin marries Nicollette Sheridan
Quote of the Day
Recipe of the Day or a
Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day
The Holidays and Observances Healthy Diet Habit Tip of the Day for March 8, is a collection of tips on how to avoid Winter Weight Gain, by Kerry, of Healthy Diet Habits.
This Day in History
- 1817 – The New York Stock Exchange is founded.
- 1936 – Daytona Beach Road Course holds its first oval stock car race.
- 1838 - US mint in New Orleans begins operation producing dimes
- 1855 - 1st train crosses 1st US railway suspension bridge at Niagara Falls
- 1894 - The state of New York enacts the nation's first dog licensing law
- 1911 - 1st International Woman's Day
- 1913 - Internal Revenue Service begins to levy & collect income taxes
- 1920 - Cuba & Denmark join the League of Nations
- 1957 – Egypt re-opens the Suez Canal after the Suez Crisis.
- 1957 – Ghana joins the United Nations
- 1965 - 3,500 Marines are the 1st US combat forces to arrive in Vietnam
- 1972 - 1st flight of the Goodyear blimp
- 1979 – Philips demonstrates the Compact Disc publicly for the first time
- 1983 – U.S. President Ronald Reagan calls the Soviet Union an "evil empire"
This Day in Music
- 1975 - Olivia Newton John's Have You Never Been Mellow hits #1
- 1976 - Gary Wright's Dream Weaver is certified gold
- 1986 - Diana Ross's Chain Reaction, written by the Bee Gees, hits #1 on the UK singles chart
- 1986 - Whitney Houston's Whitney Houston Album hits #1 on the US album charts
- 1994 - Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral is released
- 2009 - U2's album No Line on The Horizon hits #1 on the UK album charts
This Day in Sports
- 1930 - Babe Ruth signs 2-year contract for $160,000 with NY Yankees
- 1971 - Joe Frazier beats Muhammad Ali in 15, retains heavyweight boxing title
- 1986 - Martina Navratilova is 1st tennis player to earn $10 million
Word of the Day from Wiktionary
1. Lasting three days.
2. Happening every third day.
Wishing You a Great Day Today!
SBI, or Site Build It, is the awesome E-Business software that we are using for this site!